How important are torque plates exactly

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
yeah i knew he had them, i bought some gear off him a while ago and remember seeing them on there.Just pm him he's on this forum.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Correct Mains are a must, if you were being ultra Anal about it all the accessories and you'd run Coolant through it as well.

It's surprising just how much the big lump of cast iron can move around.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
^some good info here, going into my 7mgte build tips folder.Who'd have thunk such a solid ass block would be so touchy..:icon_surp

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
I think im going to take my block to 927mgtepat s machinist. Pat has a plate and the machinst is supposedly pretty good.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
IJ.;1195666 said:
TNR: Nothing fancy just make sure all of the hardware you're going to use is installed and torqued to spec including the Cam belt tensioner.

ie: Main studs and Head studs, same style HG (I keep a dead one for this), the guys doing the actual boring "should" cover the rest but if they're reluctant to follow the above steps or try to tell you it's not worth their time take the block somewhere else.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i just want to 100% sure when you say same style HG you mean, using the same "type" of headgasket you will use in EX. a MHG?

Correct?

Sorry again but thanks for your time
~JDMMA70

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
AND i was reading in a book at work, about engine building, that you should also gap your rings with the torque plate installed... which actually makes perfect sense since then it will be the same when you torque the head down...

never thought about it on my engine though....

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Rennat;1206980 said:
AND i was reading in a book at work, about engine building, that you should also gap your rings with the torque plate installed... which actually makes perfect sense since then it will be the same when you torque the head down...

I've never heard of that, but it makes perfect sense.