How hot does the heat sheild get?

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
Im wondering how hot the heat shield for the exhaust manifold on a stock 7mgte gets?

if its over 400 degrees far., i will have to use high temp powder coat:3d_frown:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
very hot...

dunno anyone that uses powdercoat, everyone ceramic coats it as it will take the heat and it will do it's job better...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep! Ceramic is the way to go. No way I would use powder coat on a heat shield.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
im a powder coater not a ceramic coater:)

i know the actual manifold gets hot but i wasnt sure that that much heat could be transferred through the air.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Go ahead then...you'll see for yourself why you don't want to powder coat a heat shield.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
jdub;1320490 said:
Go ahead then...you'll see for yourself why you don't want to powder coat a heat shield.

why? all you said was ceramic coating is better. I know it wont help my performance im just trying to get it a little nicer looking

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
supraGhost;1320493 said:
why? all you said was ceramic coating is better. I know it wont help my performance im just trying to get it a little nicer looking

you are a powder coater and do not have a thermometer? im not trying to be a dick but i worked in a welding/powder coating shop for a year and we had a digital thermometer so we could tell temperatures of the metal when we pulled it out of the oven. i may be able to get a close temp for you in the next few days but maybe this will help in the mean time: while i worked there we had a guy bring in the actual compressor sides of a few turbos to be powdercoated and we did it for him. this was when i first started working there. in the 9 months or so after we coated it i never saw it com back in or have him call with complaints. this may not be what everyone else would like to believe or can flame and call me stupid. but either he had no problems with it or just did not care enough to bring it back. however if i had paid to get it done and it didnt hold up i would have called for a refund. i would think the heat shield would be cooler than the compressor side but i could be wrong. as i said, ill get that thermometer in a few days and see if i can give you a temp. hoe that helps

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Powder coat will cook in short order on a heat shield...I've seen it 1st hand. It will look good when you install it, but that will change dramatically after a few hours run time.

BTW - I have done many parts with ceramic coat, it is the only way to go on exhaust parts and heat shields. Not only will it stay looking good, but it will add an additional thermal barrier...exactly what a heat shield is designed for. You want a minimum of a 1600 deg rated ceramic for heat shields and a 2000 deg rated for exhaust parts and a turbo.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
7m-KDL:

yes i have a thermometer but my supra hasnt been running in awhile and now im putting it back together. i cant take a reading without it running :)

jdub;1320499 said:
Powder coat will cook in short order on a heat shield...I've seen it 1st hand. It will look good when you install it, but that will change dramatically after a few hours run time.

BTW - I have done many parts with ceramic coat, it is the only way to go on exhaust parts and heat shields. Not only will it stay looking good, but it will add an additional thermal barrier...exactly what a heat shield is designed for. You want a minimum of a 1600 deg rated ceramic for heat shields and a 2000 deg rated for exhaust parts and a turbo.

hightemp powder coat is very different than regular. I did my cousin's exhaust manifold and hotside of his turbo and it held up fine and still looks good. are you referring to high temp or no?

high temp PC just isnt as glossy and there is a lot less color options thats why i was wondering if i could get away with regular, but right now im thinking its a no-no:nono:

maybe i should get into ceramic coating:biglaugh:

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
supraGhost;1320530 said:
7m-KDL:

yes i have a thermometer but my supra hasnt been running in awhile and now im putting it back together. i cant take a reading without it running :)

hightemp powder coat is very different than regular. I did my cousin's exhaust manifold and hotside of his turbo and it held up fine and still looks good. are you referring to high temp or no?

high temp PC just isnt as glossy and there is a lot less color options thats why i was wondering if i could get away with regular, but right now im thinking its a no-no:nono:

maybe i should get into ceramic coating:biglaugh:

well that makes sense then. btw, i was referring to regular PC that we put on the compressor side but i have also used the high temp stuff but i assume that part of your reply was directed at the other guy since he is more knowledgeable with ceramic than i am..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Compressor side has tons of air running through it...

The heatshields are bolted to the hot side and manifold. Dunno how your cousin's hot side could be holding up since IJ melted his ceramic coating on his turbo at one time...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ghost - Never seen a powder coat that can handle those temps. Do you know what's in it that enables that kind of thermal resistance?

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
jdub;1320880 said:
Ghost - Never seen a powder coat that can handle those temps. Do you know what's in it that enables that kind of thermal resistance?

whoops my bad, its 1200F. i get my powder at powderbuythepound.com

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to take a look at this forum post at the site you pointed me to:

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3477

Doesn't look like the high temp powder will hold up on exhaust parts...to me that includes heat shields.

In any case, powder coat does nothing for you in terms of a thermal barrier...the whole point of a heat shield is the deflect heat away for the rest of the engine. Looking good is one thing, but I will choose function over form any day. Ceramic gives you both...it looks good (and will stay that way) and vastly improves the heat shield function.