How hard is CAD?

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
How hard is it to learn CAD? What I mean by this question is does a person have to be an engineer of some sort in order to use it or could you learn it by yourself like photoshop and gimp?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
When I did drafting I had Autocad at work drawing gears for moveable bridges and when I was at school at night, I learned on Versacad. I thought they were simple to use and they were the only reason I stayed in drafting as long as I did. Drawing on the board got boring to me after a while. Now I wish I'd stay'd in drafting, but I kinda like working for myself also.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
GrimJack;892227 said:
You really need to know drafting ahead of time. If you know that, it's reasonably easy to pick up.

If you don't, it's tough. It's really nothing like any other application.

I didn't have a drafting course.
Wasn't that bad. As long as you understand the concepts you'll be fine. If you can't get the concepts behind how drafting works you won't understand it at all.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I know Microstation and autocad. One is just easier to use, then again Autocad is more for the mechanical 3d aspect. So time wise AutoCad can be tricky but its doable, just like any other program.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I used Solidworks in school and it was cake. You could learn it in a few weeks of messing around. The more complex stuff gets tricky, but its a very intuitive program.

You can find free versions of CAD software online....

The real deal isn't really meant for students or kids anyways.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i would deff recommend taking a course in autocad. i took drafting and autocad at the same time. i wish i wouldnt have changed my major and finished it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Phantom;909743 said:
Are they legal, kind of like how Gimp is a free legal software that can do things that is similar to Photoshop programs?

The programs are the real deal and not imitations. The software is legal, the uploading of the software is not legal.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
you can also take ROP programs, Regional occupation program. its like a 45 dollar fee and the class is like two times a week.

Edit: you can get the student edition if you guy the autocad book. its usually 1 year limited term, you cant print or sell the drawings you make. if you do print your invention it will have STUDENT EDITION tagged all over the page.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I paid $6600 for Microstation SE about 10 years ago, so I'm sure it has gone up since. Very pricey, but when it comes to using it as a source of income, it's peanuts.

As grim said, learn the basics first, then move on to CAD. Most of the best CAD draftsmen are excellent manual draftsmen too. Can you skip manual and move straight into CAD? Sure, but remember, you are designing a new gizmo that you fully understand, and the drawing you create is very easy for you to understand.

The art of drafting, in a nutshell, is being able to other people to understand your concept without asking you questions. Section views need to be tied into plan views at the correct locations, specs need to be clearly defined, measurements need to be 100% correct, ALL pertainent info needs to be on the drawing, yada, yada, yada. When they are, and presented correct, you should have a set of drawings that are self supported.

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Drawing a line or a mess of lines in any CAD program is a simple matter of knowing where the buttons are. Getting that mess of lines to represent something that someone else can understand is a whole new ball game... producing a drawing that is to a set of standards is even harder. Producing a set of drawings, all to standards, that are consistent in both content and representation, is the suffering of many a cad jockey.

I know Microstation, AutoCAD, Solidworks fluently, with a side dish of Revit, and a handful of other programs I've dabbled in over the years... Knowing one basically allows you to pick up any drafting program and learn it to a functioning level very quickly (i.e. you end up searching for the line button for 5 minutes, then forget where it is... a few times. In the end, all of them get the same product, just walk a different path to get there). Being fluent in a program can take a long time and alot of practice.

I tell anyone who asks that you could train a monkey to use autocad. But, to get anything you could understand out of the program requires skill, training, and an understanding of the subject. To get something out of CAD that is good enough for an engineer to stamp their name on, will take some credentials.

Beyond the simple text, line, polyline, circle commands, there are tools to make your life easier like external referencing, blocking, written blocking, dimension editing, attributed text, layer controls, block libraries, tool palets, macros... the list is endless. Knowing when to use what and when not to, is where the real paycheck is earned.

If you're looking at a career, it's not very stressful unless you make it stressful, but it is hard on the eyes and can be hard on the back if you don't get a good workstation setup. Patience, communication, and attention to detail are what will move you up in a company.

"How hard is it to learn" is more a question of what you want to accomplish with it. If you want to make some sketches or something for a school project, that's easy. If you're considering making a buck freelance or trying to get hired onto a firm, that's not so easy.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Keros;912010 said:
If you're looking at a career, it's not very stressful unless you make it stressful.....

I depends on the field you're in. I was a contract rebar detailer for many years, and I'm glad I'm out of it. One small mistake (that is field correctable 90% of the time) has you on the phone for hours with an ignorant contractor, who has "been doing this for 20 years", is completely behind on the current codes & common practices and generally doesn't know his ass from a hole in the wall. Additionally, they will blame you for making a mistake in order to cover up one of their screw up.

Sheeesh, did I mention that I'm glad I'm back in the Army?