How does everyone run their RCA's and Power to Amp/Sub in rear...

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
How does everyone run their RCA's and Power to the rear for the amp/sub.... Do i need to strip out the rear seats and the side panels in order to do so? I'm installing 6by9s in the rear middle part and makin it look flush since I consider my Supra a 2seater. :).

Just with my mate he's never dealt with a Supra before, and we are stuck on whether we need to take out the rear seats and side panels in order to run the RCA's from the left side and the Power from the right side. It's currently run under the sides and they are just dangling on each side until we figure out how to proceed.

I'll update this thread with a pic of what's currently being done... just need to know whether all the stuff in the back has to come out before we can proceed.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
TurboTargeLife, could I ask what was involved with removing them, as I need to also get to the sidepanels, as i'm putting in speakers in that location.. after the seats come out, just few screws and the side panels come off or?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^Yep. It's very straightforward. Yanking interior is cake.

I, as well, have no [rear] interior.

As for running your necessary wires, Running it underneath the bottom/side of your rear seat is no problem.

I no long have the seats there and have my battery located in the rear, so hooking up a system in my car takes about 5 minutes. :icon_surp

Good luck and post pictures when you're done!

-Jeff

Sparkynutz

Sad previous supra owner
Feb 27, 2006
Waupun, WI
I push a streightened out coat hanger under the carpet on each side of the console, run power wires on one side, rca's on the other. hardest part was drilling a hole in the firewall. a right angle drill really woulda come in handy.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I ran my power wire down the drivers side, there's a conduit there that almost looks like it was designed to fit a 0ga wire in it. The RCA cables were run under the centre console, then under the carpet, under the rear seat (the bottom of the seat takes like 20 seconds to take out BTW), and the speaker wires going back to the front speakers were run on the passenger side.

All of the wires were routed to come up through the holes on the frame between the two shock towers. This is a shitty pic taken with my cellphone, but it gives you an idea of where the wires come up

Trunk%203.jpg

Trunk%202.jpg

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Interesting Rob, i've got 4GA that i'm running through.

Very interesting setup, if only I didn't have to worry about the Aero top! your setup sure does look sweet...

Jeff, sofar I have the front 4''s put in along with a JVC KD-825 deck with USB at the front. Mounted it on the bottom din, and gonna have a supra embossed letters covered in leather as a faceplate on the top din.

Good to hear taking out the seats shouldn't be a big ordeal, i'm also going to have JVC 100rms 6by9s in the rear sides... that i'm putting in to fit flush with the leather and at the back a 8'' pioneer shallowmount sub fibreglassed into the tools compartment on the left side, and opposite side the amp. Not going to be monster setup, but should be very neat and make some great clear sound.

Jeff could you also post some pics, i'm curious of how your rear cabin looks :icon_bigg

I also will post up pics definitely once its all done.

TbombsGen3

Dec 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
You guys that are running your RCA's down the tranny tunnel....are ya'll not getting any feedback noise from the transmission? I have always been advised to stay away from the center console/transmission area. In fact, even in my Camry I got noise in my system until I moved everything to the sides.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
I ran my RCA's along the passenger side, the only spot i don't like is where it leaves the floor and goes up behind the rear seat, its still visible, which is bleh. I ran my power wires along the frame rails of the car, then up through one of the rubber grommet plug things directly under the rear driver's seat. I drilled a small hole in the center, so it acts as gromet, securing the power wire inside of the whole. Then from there to the trunk.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
4ga down the drivers side kick inside the black plastic "conduit" then up behind the rear side panel over the shock tower and back to the rear fender well and to a distribution block

RCA's down the passenger side floor board low in the corver where the bottom meets the side then up under the rear seats.

Speaker leads from the rear over the passenger side rear shock tower, down behind the side panel and up under the kick panel then up through the stock rubber wire boot to the front right door speaker. Left front door speaker line then runs up into the top of the dash over the top of the glove box, over the steering column and down into the door through the stock rubber boot.

Took me half a day and pretty much took my whole interior out to do it, but you cant see or feel a wire anywhere. I also made sure my sound system looked bone stock for stealth. The only hint is the head unit and remote control.

PS. I run my USB input cable back under the console to the armrest box and I have a 20GB portable drive stashed in there.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486904&postcount=128

Last edited:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TbombsGen3 said:
You guys that are running your RCA's down the tranny tunnel....are ya'll not getting any feedback noise from the transmission? I have always been advised to stay away from the center console/transmission area. In fact, even in my Camry I got noise in my system until I moved everything to the sides.
It's a manual transmission, there's no electricity moving through it to cause a magnetic field to interfere with the signals. With an auto, some of the solenoids in it could very well cause interferance.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Rob, the only way I see that being possible (interferance) is if you have some SUPER cheap RCA's. Even the cheapest Tsunami RCA's we sell are twisted in the jacket and then the jackets are twisted, leaving no parallels for interferance to jump.

TbombsGen3

Dec 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I guess you could be right about the auto thing. My camry was an auto. But you also have wires for power seat motors, air bag controllers, etc the run thru there as well. I know these dont cause much current, I just think it is better to eliminate all chances of noise that are are possible.

TTL, my wires were Streetwires 2.0 (long time ago). Not exactly walmart stuff. The noise may have been introduced earlier in the cable, then when I moved it to the door jam, it moved behind the dash enough for the interference to go away.