How do you remove oil pan?

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
I need to reseal it. I'm losing like a quart of oil every month.

What's the fastest & easiers way to get it off?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I had planned on doing mine as well, but it's alot more work then you would think. I believe most people said that it may be worth it to just pull the engine. You need to jack up the engine, remove the shocks, front crossmember etc. Here's the TSRM page if your still up for it www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/lu/LU_07.html
I personally opted to put up with my leak until i have the engine out for something else.

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
but i don't have enough tools to pull the engine. I figured i'm just going to have it on jackstand and do my work from there.

Wouldn't pulling the engine takes a lot more time & harder?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Nope... pulling the engine isn't terriablly difficult...i dont'rememberwhere but i saw a writeupthat i think dr. j and jim jobedid... could be wrong about the names though. when i pulled mine it wasn't too bad. took me longer than it should have but that's only cuz i had never done anything like that before :)

anyway, that way you'd be able to get at it at different angles and stuff, do a bit betterjob maybe *shrug*

the tool partmight be an issue :) the only toolthat is out of the ordinary is a cherry-picker to my knowladge

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kroze said:
I need to reseal it. I'm losing like a quart of oil every month.

What's the fastest & easiers way to get it off?

I would make sure that it is actually the oil pan... unless you are dead sure. I had some oil residue on my oil pan and i was leaving spots on the ground. I really though it was the oil pan until i did the headgasket job. Found some other upper seals(a few of them) were leaking down onto the oilpan.

Replaced those... problem fixed.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Kroze said:
but i don't have enough tools to pull the engine. I figured i'm just going to have it on jackstand and do my work from there.

Wouldn't pulling the engine takes a lot more time & harder?

if you lack the tools to pull the engine you most certainly lack the tools to drop the oil pan in car.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
drjonez said:
if you lack the tools to pull the engine you most certainly lack the tools to drop the oil pan in car.

LOL that was the truth...

This reminds me of my thread a while back talking about dropping the subframe....for my oil pan gasket leak...

you wouldnt by any wild chance used a cork gasket for a rebuild or anything did you? :p

PULL THE MOTOR. I have mine out in under 4 hours with regular everday tools...and the cherry picker...

.....and i did it in 20 degree weather. :D

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Mine leaks too, although not nearly as bad as what you are describing.

I have yet to decide to do anything about it, but having done the turbo swap, I think pulling the engine would just as much or probabaly even easier than dropping the sub-frame.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
my front and rear main leak... when i did my first rebuild i didn't seat 'em right...

i'm just dealing with it until i pull the engine again for my turbo swap, which will be soon if finances alow :)

kroze... search on sogi's site... you might be able to find that list i was talking about... it was like 42 steps or somthing... i saw it recently i just don't remember where

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
well i have all the necessary tools to do the job (someone else's garage) including airguns.

It's just that i don't have a cherry picker.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
you can rent an engine hoist - but in all honesty it would be worth having, since you own a supra lol. it's easier to pull the engine, than the subframe. Buddy of mine took his car from running to having his engine on a stand in 2 hours, 20 minutes without even trying. make sure it's your oil pan first though!.

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
its actually not that hard- i did mine to replace a faulty pump-but it is work-i didnt pull my engine becuase i had just put it in like the week before and didnt wanna fool with it-plus my subframe was bent and needed to be straightened. i have some pics of when i took it out-here they are: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/756729/5

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i thought my oil pan was leaking, but while taking the head off to do the hg, i found that the last person to torque on the turbo oil filter adapter snapped off the top bolt, so it was being held on by just the lower one...

.. another thing i dont get: why do people paint their engines gloss black? makes it very difficult to locate oil leaks...

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
has anyone tried using one of those tbars that u put over the engine and disconnected the engine mounts, then raised the engine up some with the t bar and crawl under and remove the pan?, just a question. i do that at work on bmw's.