How do you pronounce the Supra generations? POLL

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
This very same subject came up over on CelicaSupra.com a while back.

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote over there:

At least they aren't saying...

"em kay eye eye" - aye aye cap'n

"em kay eye eye eye" - what is that a stutter?

"em kay eye vee" - WTF??? oh wait... I've actually heard this one. Why the F would you say something in 4 syllables that you could say in 2? That's just wasted energy.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Its an MK-3...

BTW: lets try to not make this an MKIV vs MKIII debate... We all know the MKIII is the sexiest, lol... But seriously... MKIVs are sexy cars, unfortunately you get douche bag r'tards like Seb owning them, and they just give them the bad rep... Or F&F types... There is no doubt that the majority of the MKIV community looks down on MKIIIs... The reason: up until recently, the majority of MKIII owners beat the dog shit out of their cars, made them look like rag shit and then wonder why they get no respect... HOWEVER! Lately, and this year was a great example at the TX2K6, MKIIIs are getting the long over due respect... Not to mention, look at the after market world... Those of us who have been into MKIIIs for while can attest to the fact that 5 years ago, there wasnt SHIT for the 7M Supras... So hold tight kids, you'll see... The 7M/1J MKIII Supra is GOING to be the ultimate classic IMPORT MUSCLE car of the future...

Jake

BTW: to the person that complained about his thread, if it was THAT bad, Mike wouldve shut this down... Thenks for your concern...

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Well I said what I said because I have talked to a lot of mk4 owners at shows, meets, and in town parked etc. I would say a good 65 to 70 percent of them are arrogant, condensending, and don't give a crap about toyota's they just got the mk4 because any idiot knows they are fast, hence it is the only japanese sports car other than maybe the skyline that almost everyone has heard of in the U.S. I was run off supra forums because of the BS and the rude guys who anytime you asked a question or posted a vid they'd be like "BUuy a MK4, MK3's suck blah blah".

So agree or disagree with me I don't care but you can't change what I think until I am wrong and for now anyways MK4's are predominatley in the hands of the "Richers"

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
markthree if i'm talking to the knowledgeable.
"a supra. no, not a fast and the furious type supra, but still supra, no, not twin turbo, single turbo, 1990, twin doesn't mean better" to everyone else.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Jspec7m88 said:

Who the fugg is Mark?

:icon_conf

Mark Thureigh.... great guy, I thought everyone knew him.... :biglaugh:

Mark 3 -here...
unless I'm talking to the wife, then its one of the following: "....just broke!", "My car needs...", "@#$%^%$$$@$@#% dammit!"

I think that covers it.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Jspec7m88 said:
But you also have to understand that, although it's not an actual word doesn't mean that people can't pronounce it like that. It just happens...and gets around. it's just another way to pronounce it...It doesn't mean it's WRONG. But yes, MARK 3 is the proper and original way to say it. :icon_bigg

If you asked me what state I was from & I answered, Kay Y & not said Kentucky you would think I'm very off r just that kind of Greek. :aigo: I'm not btw :biglaugh: As you stated above there is a proper way to say Mark 3 & its NOT M-K-3 Thats just plane wrong. The other desegntion of Third Gen is also correct. My flaver is A70 which leaves most folks with :1zhelp: expression. I love it.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Tell them they wouldn't have their 2j if Toyota of Japan hadn't put a 1j in our generation of cars :)

I think that's a BS statement anyways. Even if the 1JZ never existed, who's to say the 2JZ wouldn't have just been called the 1JZ, and even if not, who's to say the 1JZ wouldn't have just gone into the MKIV without going into the MKIII.

The "you have to like my car because it's like your car's dad" mentality is kinda dumb IMO. I don't have to like anything I don't want to. There are plenty of cars that I like, but I didn't like the previous one. If I bought one of those cars, do I suddenly have to like all the cars that had the same name before it? I don't really think so. After all a name is just a name.

In any case I do find it offensive for someone to disrespect a car, and I think that's probably what was being referred to, but I don't think any MKIV owner has the responsibility to like any Supra that came before it, nevermind any other Toyota. Totally up to him, just like I don't have to like the MKI, in fact I think they are ugly and dumb, lol.

I'm just going on here though, lol, you can ignore me at will.