How do you polish your lights?

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
My tail lights are a little fadded and I was wondering how I would polish it to make it shiny without having to sand it down or clear coat it. What products could I use to make it look more polished?

Thanks.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Get some buffing compound, a wool buffing pad and a buffer. It will take you about 10 minutes. Plastic is a bit softer than paint though so just be sure to turn it down a bit

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I'll give the plastic polish a try first.

PlasticX and Meguiar's...I look for these at the local stores.

I'll just try these without sanding to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the tips.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
jugodegolf;1012864 said:
What? Toothpaste how did you come up with that?

toothpaste has a slight abrasive quality to it, thats why it cleans your teeth. Also water clean up is nice, and its relatively cheap.

rossman3s

Mar 20, 2008
Northeast PA
Bananas work pretty well for cleaning CDs and DVDs.

As for the tail lights, I've just used standard buffing compound with an orbital buffer (lightly) followed by a buff wax and then hand wax.. It worked particularly well on my Stealth's lexan headlights, keeping the shine for a month or around ten washes or so. I have also done the same procedure to the Supra tail lamps and they still have a nice shine to them..

I'll have to check out that PlasticX stuff and see how it works..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I thought peanut butter cleaned CD/DVD's..? Creamy of course..

but then again, no one should know that, because anything other than chunky should be banned...!!

I use AUTOSOL metal polish on my lights, from Eastwood, works pretty good...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
RazoE;1013185 said:
I thought peanut butter cleaned CD/DVD's..? Creamy of course..

but then again, no one should know that, because anything other than chunky should be banned...!!

I use AUTOSOL metal polish on my lights, from Eastwood, works pretty good...

i always use chunky peanut butter to polish my car and lights... the chunks of peanuts are a good abrasive. just be careful when doing the molding, the chunks like to get stuck between them and the car