how do you guys fix this?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
88mkIIIproject;1123584 said:
an accusump will prime the engine before you start it each time, which will eliminate what you are hearing...but IMO, what you are hearing is normal unless it is very loud and last longer than 1-2 seconds. the engine needs a second to get oil flowing throughout it, and it might sound like rod knock at the very beginning.

it is loud but i don't think it last longer than 2-3 seconds n it doesn't seem normal. i've never heard this happen on anyother motor and i don't want my motor to go bad when it hasn't even been running for a year. if the motor needs time to get oil to circulate, won't that cause damage?

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
I'm not sure how cold it is where you live in OK but when I changed to a better oil this problem went away. A LOT of 1jz owners were experiencing the same thing, there was a big thread on supraforums about it. I remember Joe saying his went away when he switched to his different turbo setup, and I haven't heard mine since I went single either. If the car is parked outside overnight and you start it in the morning the oil is going to be much colder than if it was stored in a garage overnight, and that could have something to do with it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't want thicker oil, if you don't have a full synthetic you definitely want to put that in. There are lots of recommended oils, you just have to search for the proper viscosity for your climate and see what your local parts stores carry, and get the best possible choice.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i understand now. i had this happen to me a few times on my 86.5 after i installed an oil cooler (with no thermostat) it takes too long for the oil pressure to build up and you hear it like its rod knock. i just scrapped my oil cooler... haha

your oil pump may be bad too...

and this only happened to me during the winter... so that may have had something to do with it. and the fact my oil pump had 180k on it... rofl..

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
86_sports_1jz;1123569 said:
what i mean by a dry start is when i first start my motor up it sounds like its gonna have a rod knock or it is having a small rod knock, then after a couple of seconds after the motor is started the rod knock sound goes away as if oil fills the motor completely up.

My 2JZ Lexus does the same thing. :dunno:
Every mourning from sitting!
I assumed it was piston slap.

0W-30 here.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i've tried running moble 1 full synthetic 0w-30 n it didn't help then i switched to 10w-30 full synthetic moble 1 n it was the samething. now i'm kinda out of ideas

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
AGlobalThreat;1123652 said:
I'm not sure how cold it is where you live in OK but when I changed to a better oil this problem went away. A LOT of 1jz owners were experiencing the same thing, there was a big thread on supraforums about it. I remember Joe saying his went away when he switched to his different turbo setup, and I haven't heard mine since I went single either. If the car is parked outside overnight and you start it in the morning the oil is going to be much colder than if it was stored in a garage overnight, and that could have something to do with it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't want thicker oil, if you don't have a full synthetic you definitely want to put that in. There are lots of recommended oils, you just have to search for the proper viscosity for your climate and see what your local parts stores carry, and get the best possible choice.

its pretty warm here, 80s-90s during the day sometimes even in the 100s and at night its around 50s-60s and i usually park my car outside. i have single setup but i don't know if my oil pump is bad. whats the thread called maybe i can look at it.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ya check ur oil pump and liek they said accusump ftw if you plan on building it get a DD and re do the motor completly and run a dry sump ftw lol...:biglaugh: and but when u ran 0w-30 did it take longer for the noise to go away or less time??? the way you make it sound i would def say ur pump is bad cus u make it seem as if the pump isnt getting the oil there quick enough like their is a slow delay between start up and when ur pump starts pumping ur oil is that correct?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
86_sports_1jz;1123569 said:
what i mean by a dry start is when i first start my motor up it sounds like its gonna have a rod knock or it is having a small rod knock, then after a couple of seconds after the motor is started the rod knock sound goes away as if oil fills the motor completely up. when the motor is started for the first couple of seconds you hear it and then it goes away completely like it was never there. my motor doesn't have rod knock i know what rod knock is, i owned numerous 7m's. other than that my motor runs fine.

You coat the bearings in oil, and it lightens the noise. That is actually typical. Forged pistons can slap when cold. Ever hear an old 5.0 Mustang start cold?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
webbs7mgte;1123899 said:
ya check ur oil pump and liek they said accusump ftw if you plan on building it get a DD and re do the motor completly and run a dry sump ftw lol...:biglaugh: and but when u ran 0w-30 did it take longer for the noise to go away or less time??? the way you make it sound i would def say ur pump is bad cus u make it seem as if the pump isnt getting the oil there quick enough like their is a slow delay between start up and when ur pump starts pumping ur oil is that correct?

yes that is correct, there is like a 2-3 second delay where you can hear it knock like crazy then it goes away completely. i guess i'll just have to wait till my motor is completely bad then i'll build it or change to a 3.0 block

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
Nick M;1123902 said:
You coat the bearings in oil, and it lightens the noise. That is actually typical. Forged pistons can slap when cold. Ever hear an old 5.0 Mustang start cold?

nope, so if i keep starting the motor without priming it by taking out the efi fuse will it rod knock later down the road?