How do you DYE your interior

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
I am going to dye my interior black this year, I was wondering what works well, or what does not work well

thanks
Joseph

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
Well first prepping is your friend. If you do it right you can get a pretty durable long lasting finish.

First you will want to remove the years of built up crud/armor all, etc off the interior. They make a special cleaner you can get from most automotive stores to clean plastic and vinyl. Scrub scrub and Clean clean.

Some people like to do a light sanding next, I didnt do this as I didnt want to spend the time or ruin the finish of the piece. I suppose if you use a really fine grit is would be ok.

Then they make a special primer also found at most automotive stores. Remember several light coats is better then one thick one. Make sure the parts are dust and fingerprint free. Get some cheap latex gloves, this will keep your hands clean and you wont get greasy fingerprints on your piece.

Then you are ready for paint, there are several dyes and paints out there made for plastics. I used VHT vinal/plastic dye via spray can. Once again several light coats are better then thick ones as it will improve the durability and prevent drips/streaks.

The only one place that might be a pain in the ass is the kick panel that goes under the door. Use alot of extra coats or get an aftermarket aluminum one as that part take a TON of contact and wear, people step on it, drag their feet on it, the door closes on it, etc.

Any more questions feel free to ask :)

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
Kylar27 said:
Well first prepping is your friend. If you do it right you can get a pretty durable long lasting finish.

First you will want to remove the years of built up crud/armor all, etc off the interior. They make a special cleaner you can get from most automotive stores to clean plastic and vinyl. Scrub scrub and Clean clean.

Some people like to do a light sanding next, I didnt do this as I didnt want to spend the time or ruin the finish of the piece. I suppose if you use a really fine grit is would be ok.

Then they make a special primer also found at most automotive stores. Remember several light coats is better then one thick one. Make sure the parts are dust and fingerprint free. Get some cheap latex gloves, this will keep your hands clean and you wont get greasy fingerprints on your piece.

Then you are ready for paint, there are several dyes and paints out there made for plastics. I used VHT vinal/plastic dye via spray can. Once again several light coats are better then thick ones as it will improve the durability and prevent drips/streaks.

The only one place that might be a pain in the ass is the kick panel that goes under the door. Use alot of extra coats or get an aftermarket aluminum one as that part take a TON of contact and wear, people step on it, drag their feet on it, the door closes on it, etc.

Any more questions feel free to ask :)

this really answers my thread question!! ok thanxbye

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, most important is to make sure it's CLEAN. If it's not, the dye will just sit on the surface, and not soak in, then it's prone to chipping.

I dyed the interior of my Celica black, but my image host seems to be down right now so I can't show you.