how do race cars prop themselves up?

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Have any of you guys seen where a race car props itself up with some jacks that it has installed on the car, I dunno if anyone knows what they are called. Please let me know.

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
oh I know I was going to post that it was way too expensive, I'm sure that someone must be able to custom fabricate these no way in hell I'd pay that much for them plus I only wanted it as helper incase I want to change my wheels or what not and not have to prop it with a jack. It was nice to find out what they were anyhow.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not to mention the massive amount of fabrication needed to properly mount them...

Cool as hell, I'll admit, but not worth the money unless you're racing :D

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Poodles;1845607 said:
Not to mention the massive amount of fabrication needed to properly mount them...

Cool as hell, I'll admit, but not worth the money unless you're racing :D

This is of course if you've gone racing and have spent enough on most everything else possible to make you go faster. We all know faster on the track is much more fun than faster in/out of the pits :naughty:

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
If you really did want to do something like that, you could get a hydraulic pump (power steering pump), Hook it up to a two way valve (like on a hydraulic log splitter), then run it to a couple (or four) cylinders on each side of the car. It really is not hard to do at all, if you have access to a junk yard (for cars, and old farm machinery or bobcats), and know someone who does hydraulic lines. You would also have to do some fabrication to the car to get the cylinders mounted to it. It is possible.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Neat.

Only problem I see is adding weight to an already hefty car... at least it's mounted low enough to not hurt COG much, but still...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
emericaskater285;1845733 said:
If you really did want to do something like that, you could get a hydraulic pump (power steering pump), Hook it up to a two way valve (like on a hydraulic log splitter), then run it to a couple (or four) cylinders on each side of the car. It really is not hard to do at all, if you have access to a junk yard (for cars, and old farm machinery or bobcats), and know someone who does hydraulic lines. You would also have to do some fabrication to the car to get the cylinders mounted to it. It is possible.

Air is faster and lighter ;)

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
The jacks will only lift the car high enough off the ground to change the wheels. You wouldn't be working underneath it. Plus you better be ultra low, or it wont even lift it high enough to change the wheels.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ZFast300Z;1846177 said:
The jacks will only lift the car high enough off the ground to change the wheels. You wouldn't be working underneath it. Plus you better be ultra low, or it wont even lift it high enough to change the wheels.

Depends more on the stroke of your suspension. Even if you're ultra low, if your suspension droop is more than the extension of the jack...

Grandavi;1846216 said:
I dont think you would want to get under the car with those anyway.. lol. I have a picture of squishy in my head now...

Depends. The second link has safety stands.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Poodles;1846173 said:
Air is faster and lighter ;)

Very true. I never trust hydraulics anyways. My old diesel instructor always told us to never get under anything with only hydraulics holding it up. It is dangerous, that is why bobcats have the bar for the bucket if you need to work on it, and why hydraulic hoists have a set for when they are up, so you don't have to worry about something falling on you. Also another reason no to trust a floor jack, always use jack stands.