How do i replace the clutch on my 1j r154?

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Im in the process of replacing my clutch while the engine and tranny are in the car, and just cant get it done, the rear turbo is hitting the firewall so i cant get to the top 2 bolts on the transmission. Is is necessary to remove the turbos to complete this task? Please someone shed some light on this situation!!

HELP!

Thanks

JOn

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Can you not get to the bolts with several sections of extensions? Loosen your motor mounts, and drop the tranny mount, while supporting it with a jack. This is how I do it with a 7M, but not sure if you have any room at with those turbos.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My top two bolts are put in from the back of the transmission into the block. Why would you be coming in from the other way? I don't remember having to get any bolts from inside the engine bay.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Yea, thats right from the transmission side. But, i am on stock twins and have ABS, so the rear turbo is what im having clearence issues with. Loosening the motor mount will not give me any more room to wiggle the motor to give more clearance underneath because the turbo will be hitting the firewall.

Im going to give it another shot in the morning and see what i come up with.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
Man do what they said same as a 7m drop the rear of the tranny, on use 3 ft. of extension behind the tranny go over the top, stick your head up where the center bearing was bolted up and look to see the bolt heads slide on a 14mm socket to the extension even use a swivel 14mm if you need to and take them out. Make sure to remove the 2 starter bolts/nuts first.

NAiL05

Jan 12, 2008
Texas
Everyone basically covered it. Have a trans jack underneath for support and take off that trans support. Make sure the DS is also moved out of the way. When the trans is slightly dropped at an angle and supported you should be able to get a good look at the two bolts on top. As everyone mentioned from then on get two long extensions and a wobbly six point *what we used when taking off my friends 2jz trans* but same concept. IMO thats easier than trying to fish it from the engine bay.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
ahhh the love of a clutch. i had just changed the clutch on an sc300... think the supra is bad try one of those cars ;p the easiest way is to change it with other mods.. pull the motor do it slowly.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
drop the driveshaft, then pull off the two inspection plates on the bottom of the bellhousing, and take out the clutch bolts(the ones that bolt the clutch to the flywheel) then all you need is a long extension, a universal joint, and the socket, then go in from the back of the tranny you can hit all the bolts. after that it will come out pretty easy, if you have one other person helping you it can come out in about 20-30 (which is the amount of time it takes me when i do it with my girl helping me)min. Longer if you dont know what your doing and by your self.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
tlo86;1031587 said:
ahhh the love of a clutch. i had just changed the clutch on an sc300... think the supra is bad try one of those cars ;p the easiest way is to change it with other mods.. pull the motor do it slowly.
You think that is bad you should try changing the tranny in a 02 taurus.

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Cool, finally got it, took some time but was able to wiggle it just right. And the top driverside bolt doesnt exist on the 1j belhousing, so thats cool.

Thanks for everyones input!

Jon