How do I protect myself from an out of state car sale?

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I believe I sold my car to someone in another state. I spoke with the guy a few times on the phone and says that he can either wire transfer me the funds or overnight a cashier's check.

The guy said he was going to arrange a trucking company to pick up the car as soon as funds are recieved by me.

Wire Transfer:
I know there are several scams out there where the thief ends up getting a person's bank info and then cleans them out. I also heard that you can set up an "EBAY" bank account for online purchases and keep a minimum balance in it so that if a thief ever does get a hold of your info he can't rip you off for too much.

Cashier's Check:
I have also heard of scams where a phony cashier's check is sent. Your bank clears it, you send the car and then the bank says "hold on, wait a minute, this is fake"! and you are screwed.

What do you guys suggest I do????

1jzdreamer

Dec 3, 2006
Arkansas
Wait for the cahsiers check... if it is for more money than the sale was agreed for Trash it.

Someone tried to scam my brother through a Bike sale like this before. He was sent a cashiers check for 6000. Sale price was 4000. Enclosed note said please send the difference back, a pickup service would pick the bike up and take it. Didnt fall for it though...

False cashiers check- send money back- you keep item but are out money.

Push

Cressida
Aug 28, 2005
Naperville, IL
Big Wang Bandit said:
Get a check, cash it and then give him the go ahead, don't do anything untill you have access to all the money chris.

You can cash it, but what if the check doesn't clear? Then your screwed out of the money! ALWAYS wait till the check has cleared!!! Paypal isn't as safe as its cracked out to be..... I lost $500 due to a scammer who got an XBOX360 I sent him with Tracking and delivery confirmation.... Then had his credit card pull the money from paypal.. There are a lot of scammers out there! Be careful!

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
In fact, you can get arrested at Bank of America if you present them with a scammer's check and ask if it's legitimate.

PayPal wouldn't be a bad choice... they're insured, and could most likely secure the funds for you.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Take a check. Go to the bank and ask them to call the issuing bank to insure fundage. Then deposit it and wait a FULL WEEK. After the check has CLEARED, wait one more week. Now you should be in the clear. The buyer can piss and moan all they want, but they don't get squat until you have ALL the money in hand.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
One question.. has the guy come see the car? Because I would never buy a car with out looking at it.. or maybe have a trusted friend look at it. I dunno.