How do I know if my pair of 6.5 inch speakers are not TOO DEEP ?

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Heya. I have an '88, I bought the 91-92 speaker pods 2 months ago and they're lying around here. It's time for me to buy a pair of decent 6.5 inch round speakers and mount them.... the sound up front SUCKS in my car. I have two 6x9 Sony Xplod in the back (in the back of the rear sets, facing the rear of the car), and they sound hella nice when I open the trunk. But I don't need that. in fact, I'd sell those to get the front speakers if they didn't look so nice back there. But I'll keep them.

My dilema is... I've seen people saying that if the 6.5 speakers are TOO DEEP, they wont fit? Eww... how do I know which ones fit and which don't? Aren't they all kinda standard? ... I don't wanna spend too much on this, I've seen a pair of 6.5's online for prices from 25 to 50 bucks so that's about the max. I'm gonna pay for them. What do you guys think? I have a Pioneer head unit.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I put some 5-1/4"s with pretty heavy duty magnets that were had a mounting depth of 2.4375" and they had a bit of space but not much.... anything much bigger would not have fit... Most 6.5's have about 2.5" mounting depth so they should be OK but I didn't use the 91-92 speaker pods I made a custom housing.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
buy 'em locally, and try 'em... if they're too deep, return them :)

I built my own so I don't really have any other advice than that, sorry.