how do i know if im rich

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
ok i unerstand the basics of running rich, to much fuel =bad but what i want to know is how do i know if im running rich what do i need can i take it someplace locally to get it checked, what is used, can i buy a tool, i know if you can smell gas in the exhaust thats once sign but i wanna know on a tunable level.
understand my resources are EXTREMELY limited i'm 17, partime job=little $$, lotta school, dad still doesnt know i put a 3'' dp and intake on car so he thinks i cant change oil, +doesnt realy know much about cars cept well oil changing, and i live in a little moutnain town with little to offer, we have a midas and a napa. thats , about , it. im a youngin and im learning. so thnx ahead of time.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
you will smell it and black smoke out of the exhaust is another symptom of running rich...

also if you wanna drop 30 bucks on a light show you can get a VERY general idea with a A/F ratio gauge...

OR drop big bucks on a wideband and know EXACTLY where you are at.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i've seen fireballs out of my mkiii... haha. sure makes the people tailgating you back off! :D

-shaeff

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
If youre like Jayson and I...only thing rich about us is our cars :D

oddly enough..we have probably the most well running and most rich running cars IVE seen. We spew out the black smoke at high boost as if we were diesel trucks hauling illegals BACK to Mexico.

our cars are equipped to run rich stock...

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
heh, get a wideband. a/f meter lightshows are worthless, not even a general idea.

don't get me started on running rich.

tailgaters beware, I'm packin heat....as in 3.5 foot flames.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Jayson is just a jew, thats why hes poor. lol... seriously though. if you opened up the exhaust and intake path, youre running dead rich after 4500rpm. its a built-in saftey net from TOyota. Thanks!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
boost PSSH boost said:
heh, get a wideband. a/f meter lightshows are worthless, not even a general idea.

don't get me started on running rich.

tailgaters beware, I'm packin heat....as in 3.5 foot flames.

as obviously i agree they are lightshows for the msot...they arent completely worthless..they WILL give you a general idea...and that coupled with an EGT will give you a VERY GOOD GENERAL idea.... obviously not to be used for tuning..but its good to have until you can get a WB...

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
Past sniffing your exhaust and reading plugs there's no real way to tell if you're running rich without a wideband. Narrow band a/f gauges are basically there for entertainment purposes. They may have some use for rough tuning a carburetor but they're not very useful for EFI. There are plans for a DIY wideband here: http://www.diy-wb.com/ that uses the lambda sensor from a lean burn Honda engine. It's about the cheapest way you can get accurate information on a/f ratios.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
and to correct it you need a fuel computer.... AFC, Eman, somthin like that. definatly need a wideband to go with it, cuz you don't wanna be chaning things without knowing how/what you're changing :)

NOW, my question(hijack) is how do you guys get flames on command(without a flame-thrower kit;-))? I'm rich as you can get with a completely straight through exhaust system...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I was wondering the same thing. I know my car's rich. just over 200 miles/tank, cracked hose, can't find one to replace it. It is nice shooting "crapp" all over Honda's though, I "acceidentally" did that today after work. :) This wouldn't be oil I'm spewing out, would it?

Damn threadjackers.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeap I get the fireballs here too! They subsided a little bit after I replaced my ?? year old o2 sensor. But they are still there. I also smell fuel every now and then.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
I know you live in a mountain town but there has to be a dyno somewhere around. They will be able to tell you for pretty cheap compared to a WB. save up and get a SAFC, and go the Flames, 3" straight thru from turbo will do the trick!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea im askin arround and lookin for a dyno within 2 hours of here. also for you guys who apparently WANT to be rich and shoot fire run buy a spark plug drill a hole in your muffler and screw it in tehn take a wire from the plug to one of the switches in your car, fog light, defrost whatev then switch on the flame thrower on command, never done it but i saw someone pull it off on an old mustang.

also im not realy interested in adding a damn guage pillar or fililng my dash with even more led stuff i just want to get effeciency from what i do have and go from there, i know stock whatev only tells you if its broken or working. would a wide band 02 be much help in itself for my ecu to even out the richness.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
A wideband isn't going to interface with your stock ECU. You'll need some sort of tuning method to take advantage of the information. There are plenty of tuning methods to choose from, from an AFPR to a standalone ECU replacement that will interface with a wideband and plenty of stops inbetween.

Apr 4, 2005
california
"how do i know if im rich "

huh... if you haved a lot of cash then your rich lol...

anywho... serously though youll need a wideband and AFC

im getting apex S-AFC-2 special edition...and aem wideband
BUT i will get this stuff used=cheap... 1 mor month and i should have enuff money to get both at the same time..

and i know what its like being broke im only 18 just turned 18 on feb... partime...= little cash but if you really want to not run rich do some extra work...oil change your niegbors cars or your parentrs friends... cash is cash right...

do it once do it right... besides once you tune your car your gas milage will increase .... yey...

btw gut out your stock cat... if your running your stock cat it sucks up power big time and im not sure but i think it makes you wate more gas aswheel

my set up right now is BIC 3" dp and gutted cat and modified intake with only that im already feeling big def. in power... but im switching to dpp ... for better high end...