How do I install square gauge into flat panel?

Mark2

Jul 14, 2008
Ottawa, ON
My 89 has a flat panel covering where the original double din stereo used to be. In that panel are my various round gauges. What I want to do is cut a rectangular hole in the panel and have just the display of my FJO Air/fuel controller showing through.

My question is; if I want the display to look as flush against the panel and as clean as possible (ie. I don't want to see the rough area I cut out of the panel) what can I use to old the fjo in place, and what can I use to cover up the rough edges of the panel?

Thanks for any help!

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
You could also make a rubber surround to finish it off. One way of doing this would be to take a vacuum line(a nice silicone piece for a better look) and cut it down the middle with a razor blade, put a dab of glue along on the inside of it and attach to the panel. It'll also help hold the display in place without scratching the sides of it. I did this with a piece of plexi glass once and it looked nice.

Mark2

Jul 14, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The Dude;1139375 said:
You could also make a rubber surround to finish it off. One way of doing this would be to take a vacuum line(a nice silicone piece for a better look) and cut it down the middle with a razor blade, put a dab of glue along on the inside of it and attach to the panel. It'll also help hold the display in place without scratching the sides of it. I did this with a piece of plexi glass once and it looked nice.

That is a great idea....exactly what I wanted!

Thanks Guys!

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
or use the rubber seal they sell at autozone for door edges. it is slit to fit over the flat edge of the door to prevent dings when opening the door. its flat so wouldnt be rounded up like vac hose.

Mark2

Jul 14, 2008
Ottawa, ON
williamb82;1140043 said:
or use the rubber seal they sell at autozone for door edges. it is slit to fit over the flat edge of the door to prevent dings when opening the door. its flat so wouldnt be rounded up like vac hose.

That would probably work really well. I gotta try this tonight as I hate having that display sitting on top of my steering column.

Thanks