How do I hook up this wastegate?!

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
So I have this HKS 50mm wastegate, and no instructions for how to set it up. It came with 1 nipple, but the wastegate has two ports- one on top and one on the side. Which one do I run the vac line to?! And what does the other one do? Should I have two fittings?

1376.jpg

Yes, I searched, but I couldn't find this info.

Thanks,
Collin

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
bottom one.. run your boost souce to the bottom one.. you can put the wg on the bottom one but your should run your boost controller to the top port to help assist the spring in keeping the WG closed in high boost. Make sure the boost controller is a bleeder type mbc or your ebc is set properly for external setup..

Last edited:

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
tissimo said:
Top one.. run your boost souce to the top one.. you can put the wg on the top one but your should run your boost controller to the bottom port to help assist the spring in keeping the WG closed in high boost. Make sure the boost controller is a bleeder type mbc or your ebc is set properly for external setup..

No, its the other way around. The feed goes into the lower port. the uper port is open unless you are using a boost controler. If you hook the line to the top port, boost will only hold the wastegate closed and you will over boost. DON'T DO IT

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
starscream5000 said:
You don't cap off the port if you're not using a BC?

Yes, leave the top port open and hook the boost signal line to the lower port. The top port should really have a filter of sort on it, but I along with many others have never had a problem with out one.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
cjsupra90 said:
No, its the other way around. The feed goes into the lower port. the uper port is open unless you are using a boost controler. If you hook the line to the top port, boost will only hold the wastegate closed and you will over boost. DON'T DO IT
oops... thats right i said it backwards.. let me edit it

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
You can run it either way, depending on what boost controller you have and what it's set for. I've seen both work on poppet styles, and I think turbosmart actually has instructions for both setups on their wastegate, which is similar in design to all the rest.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
This is still confusing me because I'm used to only one vac line going to a wastegate, and when installing a boost controller you simply install it between the boost source and the wastegate and you're done. If I set it up intercooler piping nipple > boost controller > side port of wastegate and leave the top open, will I have any problems? And just out of curiosity, it says not to use a source of boost AND vacuum. What would happen if I used a line off the intake manifold for the side port?

Can somebody find or draw a vac diagram and show me how this works? I'm a visual learner. :(

Thanks,
Collin