How do I break the crank damper bolt free on a motor that doesn't have a trans?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I need to break the crank pulley damper bolt free on a 1JZ that's in my parts car, but there isn't a trans attached nor a starter and I don't have an air compressor for which to use a badass impact on. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Lost@walmart

Jul 19, 2010
Florida
I used a clamp that I zip tied to the bar thats underneath the car.... I think its the sway bar..... and I took the bar that goes into my jack and put it over the wrench....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No impact on a JZ crank bolt? Have fun with that one... I'm by no means a weak guy, but I couldn't hit the breaker bar with enough 'snap' to break the bolt's torque free without turning the engine on the stand. Even if you can muster the ~200+ ft/lbs needed to break that one loose, it's a matter of speed in this case. Is it feasible to borrow a compressor, or to pull the motor? If so I'd do that, without an impact you're gonna have a hell of a time with that one...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
I bought the toyota SST fuk that... Not even the Impact gun was doing it's job & I used my buddys SNAP-ON impacts...

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
This, I have that exact tool and it works great, then all you need is two 1\2" breaker bars.
64300.jpg

Search for "Schley 64300"

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Electric impact gun is one idea

i took a pc of wood jammed it on the flywheel, put a breaker bar on there while holding and pushing down on the breaker bar i quickly yanked and broke the nut loose. Inertia will get the bolt off.

I jammed wood again and used a 1/2" tq wrench n torqued it to spec..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1634742 said:
This, I have that exact tool and it works great, then all you need is two 1\2" breaker bars.
64300.jpg

Good info. :)

zoppii;1635003 said:
Hold the dampener with a strap wrench. You can buy one at Sears. Works great, I've done it many times.
This would also work well enough.

OneJArpus;1634847 said:
Electric impact gun is one idea

i took a pc of wood jammed it on the flywheel, put a breaker bar on there while holding and pushing down on the breaker bar i quickly yanked and broke the nut loose. Inertia will get the bolt off.

I jammed wood again and used a 1/2" tq wrench n torqued it to spec..
Not pretty, but I imagine this would do in a pinch, especially if you're a ways from a parts store, or they're like places around here and open only when you're not working on your car...

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
I used a 1/2" Breaker bar and a spare 3000 pipe, With an assist on the flywheel being held in place with a large flat screwdriver.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
mkiiichip;1634742 said:
64300.jpg

I was just about to recommend this tool. I bought it for use on my 7M, and have used it on my buddy's 2JZ. Works great. This most recent time that I had to take my crank pulley off (when I was swapping the bearings) I got my pulley, covers, timing belt, etc off in under 30 minutes. Nice thing... you can keep the radiator in place when doing it ;)