How did I burn a hole in my valve??

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
I know that I ride her a lil hard bud I never expected this. Can anyone tell me how I did this. My car has no power mods and all that I run is super. Compression on all other cylinders is around 170, this one.... a big zero. I checked compression after I bought it and had 170 on all cylinders. Let me know how big of a tub of crap I am in.:3d_frown:
p974105_1.jpg

p974105_2.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
lol, no.

to the original poster, there are several reasons you could have burned a valve, carbon build-up, bending, improperly machined/installed seat, running excessive egt's before the valves seated (if you recently re-built), etc.

edit: I couldn't see the pictures at work, you've got some nice channeling there. Pop the valve out and look at the seat face 180 degrees from the damage - if it looks worn, chances are the valve is bent. If you see debris/wear/deposits on the seat face, you have/had an ash or deposit problem. The deposits get between the seat and face, cause a small clearance, and exhaust gas progressively burns away valve seat face. This burning is accelerated by the fact that the deposits also insulate the valve, leading to its overheating.

Closely inspect the valve seat before rebuilding the head.

Last edited:

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
GrimJack;974464 said:
Valves are cheap. Heads are not. I'd be inspecting that head very carefully.
where do you get your valves? i need an intake and exhaust valve and they are around like 15 bucks each.