How can you tell diff b/w supra/soarer 1jz harness

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
I just bought this harness supposedly from a supra, can anyone help me identify if this is in fact a supra harness and ecu, also am i "missing" 2 ecu plugs or am i just overlooking something

any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks and sorry for my newbness

p1424735_1.jpg

p1424735_2.jpg

p1424735_3.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Tweak

What do you mean how can I tell, I'm Dr Tweak, Toyota Engine Swap Wiring Expert Extraordinaire. :D

Yes, it will work just fine with a Soarer ECU, just need to wire in those two missing ECU plugs and of course convert the harness to plug into your chassis.

-Doc

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Dr Tweak;1424753 said:
What do you mean how can I tell, I'm Dr Tweak, Toyota Engine Swap Wiring Expert Extraordinaire. :D

Yes, it will work just fine with a Soarer ECU, just need to wire in those two missing ECU plugs and of course convert the harness to plug into your chassis.

-Doc

again w/ the instant replies, thanks, i REALLY appreciate it,

lol i meant like what do you look for to distinguish between them,

sounds good, i will have to pm/email you and have you convert this harness for me,

also while on the subject what is this additional harness sticking out of many 1jz ecu's that i see

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Dr Tweak

Oh, well, I just take one glance at it and I know, I've only had a few hundred come through the shop here :) But for a rule of thumb, let's see here...

1JZ Soarer has all four plugs on the harness (4-row plugs)
1JZ Chaser EARLY model has three out of four ECU plugs (2-row plugs like JZA70)
1JZ Chaser mid-model has two out of four ECU plugs (4-row)
1JZ Chaser VVTi has all four ECU plugs on the harness (4-row)
1JZ Supra JZA70 has all four ECU plugs on the harness (2-row)

That covers most of them.

Ah that plug there, well the funny thing is that there's only two wires on the engine harness side of that plug that go to it, they are both TPS related.

-Doc

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Awesome, thanks for all the help, i just spent the last hour out there examining my harness and the cut soarer harness on my engine, and most but not all of the plugs match up, i think i have narrowed down my problem, i think i have a harness and an ecu from different models for example a chaser harness w/ a soarer ecu

heres some more pics

ecu side connectors

p1424832_1.jpg

p1424832_2.jpg

p1424832_3.jpg

p1424832_4.jpg

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Dr Tweak;1424753 said:

-Doc

:bigthumb:

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Dr Tweak;1425374 said:
^ :D
The one on the left plugs into the Chaser chassis (dash harness) and the one on the right is a junction connector.... unplug the cap and you can see it basically links certain sections together.

-Doc

thank you soo much, you are very knowledgeable and helpful

what i still dont understand i where the 2 missing ecu plugs would come from

p1425506_1.jpg

also can you pm how much it would cost to make this work on an 89 na/auto, plus cleaning (theres some oil on it, idk if that incurs an extra charge)

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
RPSil13;1425506 said:
thank you soo much, you are very knowledgeable and helpful

what i still dont understand i where the 2 missing ecu plugs would come from

also can you pm how much it would cost to make this work on an 89 na/auto, plus cleaning (theres some oil on it, idk if that incurs an extra charge)

i had the same situation on a vvti 1jz. the other plugs are coming from other computers like traction and fuel pump i think, so from the body harness, not the engine harness. soarers and JZXs are more complicated than MAs and JZAs, they have much more body hardware.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I used the jzz30 ecu and harness in my ma70.5. (that's what I call the 89 because of the changes to wiring on the body no other year has) The links below are what I used to wire my jzz30 harness in to my old 7m harness. I spent 90+ hours wiring it, there is no guide that is 100% correct. The wires changed colors from year to year on the body and some of the guides rely on the colors.

If you want to use the jzz30/jzx90 harness then you must be willing to read the links below. Doing so will answer most of you questions.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43888
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77752&highlight=JZX90
http://www.freewebs.com/1jz-gte/soarerharnessintoma71.htm
http://www.1jz.com/tech/docs/wiring/

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
thanks staticpage and pernilongo

so from going over some of those threads it looks like those "missing" ecu plugs are not necesarily missing, i think i still have some more reading ahead of me,