how can i tell if my ct26 is spinning backwards

super supra dave

Oct 12, 2007
manassas va
right now i have a stock ct26. the motor and every thing is also stock, after putting a new HG on and drove it around for a bit, my buddy said it sounded like the turbo was spinning backwards. there is not play in the shaft and it spins freely. what kind of test can i do to see if it really is spining the wrong way?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Backwards? Wow thats a first ...... You could start the car with the accordain hose off ..... it wont run great but it will run like it has boost leak. However you can see the fins turning

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
errr... it cant spin backwards... unless the flow over the exhaust wheel changes..

what can happen tho is you stock bov isn't working right, so you here a woffling sound from the turbo, in this case the air is going backwards over the compressor wheel and can break the shaft/fins after awhile..

super supra dave

Oct 12, 2007
manassas va
well he said it sounds like it spins backwards when i shift. i havent ever heard of a turbo spining backward too. could it just be that something maybe fcked with the bypass?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
super supra dave;972343 said:
well he said it sounds like it spins backwards when i shift. i havent ever heard of a turbo spining backward too. could it just be that something maybe fcked with the bypass?

Are you on the stock BPV ? A different name for blow off valve.....

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
super supra dave;972343 said:

If it's between shifts, it's probably compressor surge, meaning your bypass valve isn't opening correctly.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
87mgte;972348 said:
If it's between shifts, it's probably compressor surge, meaning your bypass valve isn't opening correctly.
AND this is extremely unlikely. When these die, they always tend to die fully open.

More likely that you're pushing too much flow, and the stock unit simply isn't capable of bleeding off enough air.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
haha jon^

are you peggin the stock boost gauge?

i would atleast check operation of the stock bpv and also check for a clear vacum line, some time's it fills with greesy oil stuff...

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
super supra dave;972354 said:
yes to all. stock bypass and larry, currly and moe all do there lil thing when i shift or hit the bypass.

MDCmotorsports said:
I think you need a new buddy. Or some earplugs.

/thread.

:rofl:

Last edited:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
GrimJack;972352 said:
AND this is extremely unlikely. When these die, they always tend to die fully open.

More likely that you're pushing too much flow, and the stock unit simply isn't capable of bleeding off enough air.

You know I'd search, Grim, but while we're on the subject, how many lbs of boost is the stock BOV rated for?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNTnA5A2Fo

Does it sound like that when you shift?

If so, that's your compressor side stopping your turbine side from spinning with exhaust gas flow when the throttle plate closes, and that's only bad if you happen to like your turbo.

Stock BOV may not be connected properly, or as Grim pointed out, not able to handle the flow.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
87mgte;972809 said:
You know I'd search, Grim, but while we're on the subject, how many lbs of boost is the stock BOV rated for?
Well, it's RATED for the stock boost - max of about 7psi.

I've only ever seen one that was still in working condition.

I wouldn't use one for anything over 10psi on a stock turbo, and I wouldn't use one at all on any kind of turbo upgrade.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
GrimJack;973006 said:
Well, it's RATED for the stock boost - max of about 7psi.

I've only ever seen one that was still in working condition.

I wouldn't use one for anything over 10psi on a stock turbo, and I wouldn't use one at all on any kind of turbo upgrade.

Well I must be lucky then, cause mine worked perfectly when I bought the car. No worries though, I picked up the new style SSQV like a month after buyin the car so I'm set.:icon_bigg