How about a V8 supra

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ForcedTorque;1019746 said:
+1 for you............Thanks for not falling victim to the "Just put a 350 in it" type of thinking. I swear I want to puke every time I see someone suggest that.

50 years later the Chebbie V8's are still kicking ass and taking names. I am a car enthusiast which means I can respect cars of all makes, and that includes the SBC. There's a reason it's still being used in street and race cars alike.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
why anyone would do a 3UZ over a 1UZ I'll never know.. hell you can do a google search and figure out that the 1UZ is far superior in stock form. whether it be the larger ISS, better rods and theres more.

yeah I realize the disparity between the two displacement wise, but honestly I dont see that as a valid argument unless you just want a fun N/A car with some nicer factory figures than than build components. also in favor of the 3uz it looks to have better head flow IIRC, in any case the 1UZ is clearly the better engine integrity wise IMO.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
jessetooslow;1019694 said:
I know some guys have put chevy motors and ford motors in the supra, but what about the V8 froma Sc400/LS400, would it be worht doing ?

This is currently being done to two cars in Toronto...can't wait to see the finished products.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
IF GAS KEEPS GOING UP i'M SLAPPING A HONDUH I-4 IN THERE

VETTE1.jpg

THIS IS THE ONLY V8 TO CONSIDER

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
1UZ has some serious potential.

From what I know, the 1UZ is the beefiest of the three versions (1UZ, 2UZ, 3UZ). Both the 2 and 3 are bored for more displacement, making the 1UZ more suitable (as far as I know) for rediculous boost. If you're staying N/A, a 2/3UZ would be a better choice.

There are clutch kits and adaptor plates for the transmission, and flywheels are available. The 1UZ ECU is good for ~8psi of boost and can be wired into a manual transmission. Custom components will be the motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and IC (obviously). You'll also need a brake booster out of a late 80's toyota pickup, as that the MkIII booster is too long and will interfere with the valve covers on the UZ.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I have considered (along with many others here) a V8 swap for quite some time.

At first I looked into the Lexus V8. Let me save you guys that don't know some time; the hot set-up is a 1-uz block (even if you were to stay N/A), because it would me more likely to withstand high rev's needed for a normally aspirated motor to make power and a forced induction motor to survive big boost pressures, because of it's beefier casting and mains, with 3uz heads, which flow significantly better.

After careful consideration and research into this project (and because I'm a drag-racer), I would opt for an LS-X if money were not an object and an LS-7 if I do it on a budget.

Getting LS-X or LS-7 kind of performance and reliability out of a UZ motor would be an expensive and tough proposition.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Keros;1020540 said:
1UZ has some serious potential.

From what I know, the 1UZ is the beefiest of the three versions (1UZ, 2UZ, 3UZ). Both the 2 and 3 are bored for more displacement, making the 1UZ more suitable (as far as I know) for rediculous boost. If you're staying N/A, a 2/3UZ would be a better choice.

There are clutch kits and adaptor plates for the transmission, and flywheels are available. The 1UZ ECU is good for ~8psi of boost and can be wired into a manual transmission. Custom components will be the motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and IC (obviously). You'll also need a brake booster out of a late 80's toyota pickup, as that the MkIII booster is too long and will interfere with the valve covers on the UZ.

correct ;) and like suprabad says you put 3uz heads on the 1uz for more flow ftw.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
he brings a valid point though, if you dont care about being run of the mill, than not many other v8's are gonna touch an LS-x series motor and its aftermarket.

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
wow, I'm surprised at all the people that responded to this post, yeah, it woyld be nice to do, but lots of wiring to deal with, all my friends are telling me to put a v8 in my car, not sure about that, though it seems to be a popukar thing to do nowadays, I've seen a v8 in a civic, that was cool.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
go to lextreme.com they have a forum dedicated to V8 supra swap you can ask questions there. I contemplated on getting that swap but since my 7mgte came alive I will keep it turbo. If the car was N/A I will do that swap in a heartbeat just my 2 cents.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
UZ swaps are all fun and stuff, but LSX engines belong in nissans and RX7's where you can't get a good engine that drops right in. ;) (Teasing! Mazda and Nissan make some badass engines, but imo JZ/LSX>RB>SR20) However, now that I have my 2JZ in my MKIII, I can't think of any other engine I'd rather have because the car feels so perfect. You simply can't beat the smooth power of an inline-6 that handles so much freaking abuse on the stock block. At the power levels I'm at now, without large amounts of rubber, launching is nearly impossible. An N/A UZ would be slower, and a TT UZ would be useless in a street car... However, if you're doing it for the novelty and insane freeway pulls, do it! :)

Oh, and carb'd SBC swaps are disgusting...

Collin

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
got_boosted;1020800 said:
a TT UZ would be useless in a street car...

I think it depends on the turbo sizing. You can make just as much power as you need, but thanks to the extra liter of displacement, you can start making it very early with the right turbos.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Much like anything else... if you are going to do it... do it right.

We've all made fun of those guys that just slap some cheezeball 350 in there. No creativity, no attention to detail...

In contrast... there is a guy over on SupraForums that is putting a nice BIG Lexus V8 into his Supra. No detail is left untouched. Sure... a few guys will get all uppity about this so-called bastardization of the "almighty". Most guys are really watching this build closely and can't wait to see the final product - hopefully in person - myself included.