Hot tanking & bearings question

SoulSupra

Supra for the Soul
Jan 14, 2011
ON
Just remember when you get them don't go dropping them or holding them out of the box. You can scratch a bearing with your finger nail!
Just imaging if you didn't change them...CRINGES...
Glad you change your mind

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
SoulSupra;1681949 said:
Just remember when you get them don't go dropping them or holding them out of the box. You can scratch a bearing with your finger nail!
Just imaging if you didn't change them...CRINGES...
Glad you change your mind

Will do the most ill probably do when I order and receive mine is open the box to take a picture.

F&H Performance

Feb 23, 2006
Tampa
TweeT91109;1678409 said:
A really long time, they are called United Speed World, they have done all kinds of work and are well known in Tampa. I was suggested to go to them by a Victor at F & H Performance in Tampa, also.

What I think it was, was the guy I was talking to didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about. I'm going back tomorrow to drop off the main caps, and bolts. Ill ask the head machinist and owner of the shop about them tomorrow.

We used United Speed World twice for machine work. One of those two times being unhappy with the work performed. We use and recommend 3D in Ybor for the most part. That's who recently did the machine work for the silver MK4.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
F&H Performance;1683262 said:
We used United Speed World twice for machine work. One of those two times being unhappy with the work performed. We use and recommend 3D in Ybor for the most part. That's who recently did the machine work for the silver MK4.

Well, Im having a shop called Engine Lab do my work for me. It turns out United speed world nicked 3/6 of my cylinders when just doing a hone, then didn't even leave a decent cross hatch. So i'm currently waiting for a set of NPR .020 over replacement pistons. Also the bearings (clevite's) for the motor are in the mail.

IBoughtASupra;1683273 said:
I don't know why machine shops do bad work. Makes no sense.

Lol, because they can, and don't care about customer blocks if they don't know them. Which I think is bull, and isn't fair. But i'll stop complaining because one day ill have the 500K worth of machines to do the work myself. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IBoughtASupra;1683273 said:
I don't know why machine shops do bad work. Makes no sense.

Same reason people get ripped off on anything, they don't know any better. There's a lot of shady stuff they can do to get out of any obligations.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Poodles;1683424 said:
Same reason people get ripped off on anything, they don't know any better. There's a lot of shady stuff they can do to get out of any obligations.

Like telling me I require a line bore on my mains, but when I ask them why, they say, cause the new ARP mains pull differently. Well duh, but by how much. Show me how you measured. Prove it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
When you walk into a machine shop, they will fuck you over if they know you know nothing, if they figure you know your shit, they would not try anything stupid knowing you are not some DoucheBag.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
TweeT91109;1683457 said:
Like telling me I require a line bore on my mains, but when I ask them why, they say, cause the new ARP mains pull differently. Well duh, but by how much. Show me how you measured. Prove it.

Ah, well, they're not wrong on this one...

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Poodles;1683465 said:
Ah, well, they're not wrong on this one...

I know, but they wouldn't have said anything about it, had I not said anything. I told them I was using ARP hardware, and would need them to check to make sure its still within spec, right off the bat, the guy goes. Oh you will need it for sure. I'm like, you haven't been looking at the motor for less then 30 secs, and you know what it needs? Some machinist are good, but not this good. Anyways the main line hone happened. Ill be checking all my clearances once I get it together. SO thank good for plas-ti-gauge.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

JStoked;1683504 said:
Ya right!!! that's what they do everyday. Wish i could get paid a lot of money to do crappy work.

These are fighting words. Especially being that I have $1500 alone in machine work right now, cause they did do a crappy job.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
It's ridiculously difficult to come by a very honest and knowledgeable machine shop... I thought I had found one, and drove 6+ hours each way to drop off my engine and still ended up getting screwed over by their shitty work and lack of attention to detail. I found that the main problem is people in machine shops do not like to be told what to do, and THEY ALWAYS know better. Unfortunately our motors don't follow the same guidelines that a lot of other engines they may work on do; they think they can apply the same things to our engine, and get on the defensive when you try to tell them how you want things done.