Hose Replacement

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Apparently I pinched the 90 degree hose on the back of the engine bad enough during my installation that it is cut. Are there any tricks to getting to/removing/replacing this pita? Thanks

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
That little coolant bypass hose on the back of the head? I actually bought a new one to replace that as preventative maintenance but gave up trying to get it off. What a PITA. Has anyone ever replaced that thing with the engine in the car?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah, I have...not much to say but it's a PITA. Had to do it in a grocery store parking lot too...I think it blowing had a lot to do with my HG failing shortly after. I think the only thing worse under the hood is installing an EGR valve...that one beat my right hand up pretty good.

No tricks really...just lube the new hose with a little pure coolant to help it slip on. Use new clamps and don't forget to slip them on first with the screw pointing where you can get to it ;)

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I have. IIRC needle nose are your friends and a second pair of hands help too. I just remember it was a major bitch to change but it is possible. I dont know of any tricks, but persistence is key. :icon_bigg

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
you must have tiny hands. i could barely get to it with a pair of needle noise pliers. perhaps i will give it a shot again one day when i'm bored. the first time i tried it my back started hurting and i started getting aggrivated so i gave up.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
MA70Supra88 said:
you must have tiny hands. i could barely get to it with a pair of needle noise pliers. perhaps i will give it a shot again one day when i'm bored. the first time i tried it my back started hurting and i started getting aggrivated so i gave up.
nah man, just longer fingers.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
That's great. I just replaced the damn thing during my rebuild. Oh well, just another in a LONG line of headaches with this car.:nono:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
i keep wanting to replace that hose also. i just cant get my hands anywhere near it. when i do my swap im going to rig of a copper pipe, so i wont have to deal with that hose later.