Hope it's not BHG, but you be the judge...

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Yesterday, a buddy and I were out driving, I guess you could say, faster then normal driving. We did a few pulls, up to about 5.5k, and I noticed a coolant smell, so we pulled over. After opening the hood, there was white smoke coming up from around the rear of the engine. We look upon closer inspection, and notice that I blew the coolant hose going from the heater core to the hole that is between the two valve covers at the very back of the engine, we also notice a sound that resembles boiling over. So we tighten it back up, limp it back to my house, fill it back up with water and coolant, as well as the overflow tank, and all is well. However today after I drive my car, my overflow tank is already getting a low read warning from inside the car. So I filled it back up, and I'm worried that this could be a possible BHG. What can I do to investigate this matter?

-Matt

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
you wil llose a lot of coolant through the back of that hose blowingoff (ask me how i know :() And just see if it stops in 2 days. it did for me and i haven't had any BHg symptoms past that. You know whats cool tho, you get a free coolant flush :rofl:

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Also one thing I've noticed, now I have a very small oil leak, well what at least seems to be oil. I don't recall seeing any coolant, but it's nearly brand new oil since I did a change not too long ago, so it's amber in color. I'm scared. :(

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
It's normal to have to add coolant after something like that happens...air ubbles get trapped in the cooling systm, and while driving they are purged, and replaced with coolant from the reservoir. It may do it a cople of times, just keep your eye on it. Did the temp gauge go up at all?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
dude this happens to me allot, that FOOKIN bird cage will not go away. I dont have a bhg and i know this by doing the following. We share a problem and i too want to know wut it is

1: check your oil dipstick for foam and oil filler cap
2: check your coolant for discoloration
3: burp the car and check for white smoke on startups, there will be some smoke from condensation in your tailpipe but look for a maple syrup smell
4: get a block tester, looks like a big plastic fluid filled crayon available at napa.
5: if 4 reveals co2 then bhg if not and problem still persists, do compression check.

my car pisses me off but i havent even driven the car for over a month so im letting that sit till spring. I turned my car on for first time since i put it in storage and the thing overflowed when the coolatn level was perfect, now its at low with a red wet dream underneath it.
dscf2263gb9.jpg

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
johnathan1 said:
It's normal to have to add coolant after something like that happens...air ubbles get trapped in the cooling systm, and while driving they are purged, and replaced with coolant from the reservoir. It may do it a cople of times, just keep your eye on it. Did the temp gauge go up at all?
It did go up, but it was rising very slowly. After I noticed this, I just killed the car and limped it home. I never let it get past half.

-Matt

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
well. realistically lets think about this. what would cause you to blow an HG? driving semi hard COULD do it.. but it could also blow the hose. And that's what it did. Now what the overflow bottle for? to store excess coolant so if the system runs low it can use some from the overflow tank. if you blow a hose, coolant escapes (and in your case, burns on the searing heat of the exhaust manifold/head) causing air to enter your system. the air is whats making the boiling over sound, and the loss of coolant is whats making your engien steal it from the overflow. if in three weeks you're still adding coolant than you can try and figure out a more in depth problem. the hose could still be leaking tho

to add a little more info to clarify.. as i'm still learning from myself

(a ghost just whispered it into my ear)

The motor has xx capacity for coolant

when it gets hot the coolant expands taking up xx+ room so the cap lets this extra flow into the reservoir then as the motor cools the coolant contracts causing a vaccum and sucks the + coolant back into the motor.

The idea is so you have 100% coolant and no air at all times.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Johnathan is right, you lost coolant through the hose and it will need to work the air out. Keep an eye on your coolant bottle.

You want to replace that hose...you got lucky. I blew mine...split along the entire length and I lost all of my coolant in a very short time. Car overheated quickly and likely caused a BHG on the previous motor. I couldn't get off the freeway fast enough to stop it.