Homemade Jet Engine - LOL.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Figured some of you guys would get a real kick out of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-spt7y1v6Y

Probably one of the coolest things I've seen on YouTube in quite a while.

:biglaugh:

It gets interesting at about 2:00min. in...
and just when you thought that was badass,
Jump forward to about 4:00min. in... :naughty:

Jeff

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
it looks like they have something dumping in a bucket.. what is it?? gasoline?? If it isn't gasoline then jet fuel?? or how about water to cool the turbo down with?? any clues? looks quite interesting.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I was going to build one...your choices of fuel are propane, natural gas, kerosene, desiel, gasoline, and jet fuel/racefuel. You have to be careful though, if you get the turbo spinning too fast, you'll be sending bunch of little metal bits everywhere.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
These things are very cool, I was looking into making one a while back with a spare turbo I had. The big manifold feeding the turbine housing is the actual combustion chamber where fuel is dumped in and mixed with the compressed air and it has an ignitor of some sort in there. You have to meter the fuel in pretty precisely too.

The hose dumping into the bucket is oil. You have to keep the center cartridge lubed and cool somehow or it would all lock up. Looks like they have a pump feeding fuel into the exhaust too for an afterburner effect.

This guy has made some of the best. http://www.rcdon.com/html/experimental_projects.html

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
super.secret.supra.club;1292063 said:
actually not very hard to make one. propane gas is good to use. dont use the ct26 though. the shaft would explode.

CT's shaft is bigger than a normal garrett shaft!

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I have a ct and some random steel pipes sitting in my garage..Also have a couple tanks of propane..hmmmmmmm

I'd just have to figure out the fuel metering, oil supply and ignition source.