Holy Restrictive Stock Exhaust!!!

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I had a chance to run my car with an open recirc DDP, and I now realize how restrictive the stock exhaust has been on my car. Unbelievable. With my mods (apexi intake, recirc DDP, test pipe), I've never seen the stock boost gauge get close to the 8lbs mark. Well, I had to do some diff work, so I dropped the stock exhaust from the test back and took it for a spin without the exhaust. Holy Cow! We'll ignore the fact that it's loud as F, because that's a given. I warmed her up, got her into 2nd and hit it. Before I knew it the boost gauge was hitting the 8 marker! The pull was awesome!

I'm having an HKS Turbo twin tip 3" exhaust installed today, so hopefully the pull and boost will be somewhat similar to open DDP. I'm also installing my Profec B2 this Saturday, so I will finallly get an accurate reading on boost!

Ben

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Yep, the stock exhaust is a tad restrictive. I had a non genuin stock exhaust when I got the car and it necked into 1.75" OD on the s bend just infront of the rear box. Put my full 3" home made pipe on and gained 3 psi without any other mod, back pressure FTMFL

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
now you should see the spearco IC on in place of the stocker ;);) with my 3''+ exhaust i could get close to 8 in texas but in CO it went down to 4, with the other IC it raised it back to 8.. not sure what the diff would have been if i had it in texas though

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
tlo86;1131398 said:
now you should see the spearco IC on in place of the stocker ;);) with my 3''+ exhaust i could get close to 8 in texas but in CO it went down to 4, with the other IC it raised it back to 8.. not sure what the diff would have been if i had it in texas though

Wow. I thought the stock was pretty decent?? Interesting.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Yea its pretty restrictive, infact my celica has a larger diameter pipe on it stock vs stock. But it is a nice quiet ride with the stock exhaust (my 92 supra is stock), and you dont hear it at all in the car.

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Just got the HKS Sport Turbo twin tip exhaust installed, and I didn't lose a bit of ooomph compared to running the open DDP! Pulls well past the 8psi mark on the stock gauge. Just about as quiet as stock too. Perfect.

Ben

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Wikipedia:
"Due to an extremely restrictive exhaust, the 7M responds very well to exhaust modifications; often yielding 100 HP more by switching to a 'divorced downpipe' (where rather than blocking off an exit for the wastegated exhaust, it gives the gas its own pipe to flow through) and full 3" diameter exhaust."

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Feeling is definitely believing. To think, back in early July my MKIII was bone stock, aside from the HG. The car had a bit of kick while in boost, but was still dog slow. Now with intake, and 3" turbo back, the car finally feels like I imagined it would. Spools quick, pulls hard, and puts that shit-eating grin on my face. Next step is to have www.legendofaces.com build me a solid engine to get me to my goal of 450hp by 2010.

Question, would I improve performance further by replacing the IC pipes with Cooleeze pipes, and the stock IC with the Spearco replica?

Thanks.

Ben

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
my car spooled a bit quicker after installing my cooleeze IC pipes, but it was the added durability I was after after having to chase leaks in the stock piping...

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Poodles;1132090 said:
my car spooled a bit quicker after installing my cooleeze IC pipes, but it was the added durability I was after after having to chase leaks in the stock piping...

Same here, I upgraded my pipes because they kept blowing off around 10 psi.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I noticed a nice bump in power after adding a Custom FMIC and hardpipes as well as better throttle responce.

It makes the Turbo and BOV more audible too.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
After building my first custom 3" exhaust system and DP for my car over 7 years ago, I was simply amazed at how much more power it made......This is what started my love for Supras and upgrading them, I now run a shop dedicated to these cars, ONLY becasue of that first exhaust that I built!!!

Randy@BIC

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
benk777;1131720 said:
Just got the HKS Sport Turbo twin tip exhaust installed, and I didn't lose a bit of ooomph compared to running the open DDP! Pulls well past the 8psi mark on the stock gauge. Just about as quiet as stock too. Perfect.

Ben

Can you post a pic and how much you paid for it? I really want a quiet twin tip exhaust. Did you add a resonator or hi-flow cat?

I was looking at 3" exhausts on a coupla supras last weekend. My car sits so low that a 3" is going to drag on EVERYTHING! I would like the system to be oval instead of round, but I've never seen anything like that..

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I'll try to post a couple of pics tomorrow. I can't imagine you can get much quieter than this exhaust. This is a full cat-back system, but I'm running no cats. DDP to test to exhaust.

It is amazing how much more fun it is driving my car now than it was just a few days ago! For example, there is a frontage road I take that enters to the main road via a stoplight. Well the main road is 2 lanes in each direction, and I always make a right from the light. Today, making the same right, and like always, flooring out first on the turn, the rear end starts sliding on me. Did I panic? Fuck no! I had a instant cheshire cat grin on my face, steered into it, shifted to second and rode it out. Pure bliss!

Ben

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
ZoomZoomZoom;1132771 said:
Can you post a pic and how much you paid for it? I really want a quiet twin tip exhaust. Did you add a resonator or hi-flow cat?

I was looking at 3" exhausts on a coupla supras last weekend. My car sits so low that a 3" is going to drag on EVERYTHING! I would like the system to be oval instead of round, but I've never seen anything like that..

I wasn't able to find a 3" HKS exhaust with dual tips, so I had a system made to match up with my 3" DP. Cost about $650 complete and installed.

DSC05805small.JPG

DSC05821small.JPG

DSC05824small.JPG

DSC06064small.JPG

DSC06054small.JPG

DSC06052small.JPG

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I snapped a few quick pics in the garage.

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9