Holset turbo on 1jz?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
impressive, keep up the good work! I know you're not interested in max power as you are durability, but you've gotta turn up the boost some more so we can see what this thing is capable of :)

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
OneJoeZee said:
Where are your dyno sheets ric?

One of these days... I've been more fascinated by the fact that my highway mpg from going single has gone from 23 to 28 and my city mpg has gone from 18 to 23.

I think thats the best reason to go single turbo right there! :naughty:

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks a lot for the great feedback/support guys! I really appreciate the morale boost regarding my project.

hottscennessey said:
impressive, keep up the good work! I know you're not interested in max power as you are durability, but you've gotta turn up the boost some more so we can see what this thing is capable of :)

Oh I will. What do MKIV injectors max out at power wise?

Quicker spool is gonna happen too. Even if it means getting the other housing I'm still under $500 for the turbo. I think I can get 370 out of it at 14psi. Timing still needs some work especially in the mid range. This tuning session was mainly to get the car safe to beat on and I think I did what I set out to do. Although I think I'm getting close to the limit of the W58 hmmm.

I think for drag I'll put in the 4.56:1 rear end. If I can get to 450whp what would a 1/4 mile be like? The car weighs 3010 lb with me in it. Any guesses?

And does anyone know how to change the thread title? I wanna add *Dyno page 18* or something like that?

Thanks again everyone.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
you can safely do around 500whp on MKIV 550's.

Make sure you have 550's, some are 440s in the same inpedance.

You should be around -33% correction at idle with the 550's with a stock ecu. With megasquirt, im not sure.

It "should" do around 450-480whp on pump gas with that turbo considering the inducer size. A GT35R does around 475whp on a stock cam 1jz on 93 octane.

As far as the times go.. with drag radials, a good 60ft.. 11s.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Man, everyone says they want a super quick spooling turbo and hate lag, but when someone posts charts of a turbo that gets spool at 4500, everyones like man quick spool must be fun

lol

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
This is still a rough tune it will only get better. I'm trying new shit here so it won't ever be good right away. Gimme time.

Quit being a fag and post your chart. That or shut the fuck up already :)

Derek1224

2 Turbos, 1JZ, No Equal
Nov 25, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
i'm subscribing to this!

I've read through the first 10ish pages and now the last couple with your dyno and i'm interested in seeing how this turns out for you. I'll be going single some time and a Holset definately wouldn't be out of the question for me. Cheap and durable is perfect specially since it handles high boost with no effort!

Derek

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ric said:
Man, everyone says they want a super quick spooling turbo and hate lag, but when someone posts charts of a turbo that gets spool at 4500, everyones like man quick spool must be fun

lol

Perhaps I should explain that comment...I like it when the turbo hits hard. Compare 7M to 1JZ....1JZ very smooth....7M was like..nothing...nothing, ...going....

I like a little lag, personally..if it hits hard...

I've ridden an a 400AWHP WRX with a very smooth setup and....don't get me wrong, it was fast, but it didn't seem to just all of a sudden throw you back into the seat..it was very gradual...I like the feeling of just all of a sudden getting thrown in the back of the seat...lol...

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
badass numbers man

yur making me want to go Holset even more now

i dunno how you got it for 250 tho

all the ones i see on the bay for 250 are FAWKED to hell and back

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
most single 1jz i've seen dont hit till after 4000-4500 rpm anyways...

lag is relative.. on the stock cams/ the powerband is limited.. add some cams, and you'll think 4500 is perfectly fine..

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah it's not bad now that im getting used to it. I think I'm still gonna try the bep housing though. it'll make the turbo spool a little quicker, it's way lighter, and it looks cool :) As far as where to get one cheap? I got it from a guy on hondatech.

With the stock setup it just fell on it's face at like 5000 rpm. My tq curve is a little bit broader now. Also, when drifting the car I always tend to hold it around 6-7k rpm it's just how I drive. The lag might actually help in low speed or low gear situations where I don't need as much tq to negotiate hairpins and such. And yeah like ric said it's better on mileage since I don't drive like a ricer.

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
they must have gotten more expensive since this thread got popular! j/k...I picked mine up for about $240 to my door...and it's in better shape that my CT was back in the day when I had it rebuilt....turbo spins freely, no shaftplay...she's ready to roll....

remember, these turbos generally last a long longer than a normal turbo, so getting one with 100K miles on it, isn't that big of a deal...and if it is, you can find rebuild kits for them all over the place and I'm sure the maintence from a turbo rebuilder wouldn't be that bad....