Seattle, WA
Ric said:
While your waiting on your holset, here's a nice pic of my Garrett
098.jpg

Holy bling! Jesus man.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
nah this exhaust is a lot more off the ground than the old one. I think I've scraped it like once this week :)

Sorry it's taking so long to get a tune on it. It will happen.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Good to hear that people in the US are starting to experiment on Holset Turbos. People have been using them for years here in scandinavia. They are EXCELLENT turbos for their price and the wheel designs are great. I believe Holset was one of the first to introduce extended tip compressor wheels and antisurge compressor housings.

I am going to run a Holset HX50 or HX55 turbo on my MKIV next winter when I go single.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Ric said:
While your waiting on your holset, here's a nice pic of my Garrett

Ric, you should stop being so ignorant and believing that Garrett is the only turbocharger make that you can use in the whole world. I think you've been brainwashed that everyone is using Garrett's, so you should too.

You can get Holset turbos new and change the exhaust housings on them like you can in Garrett's. There are several 9 and 10 second cars in Finland using Holset HX50 and HX55 series turbos.

A Holset HX40 with 60/65 diameter wheels is equalient to the common PTE/SC60 and Garrett GT40-82 that you usually run.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Krister said:
Ric, you should stop being so ignorant and believing that Garrett is the only turbocharger make that you can use in the whole world. I think you've been brainwashed that everyone is using Garrett's, so you should too.

I'm not brainwashed, I just use what's proven in the world of turbocharging JZ motors. I got too much money invested to "experiment". That's fine if someone wants to try them out for a low budget setup. Alot of people, including myself, won't even use that turbo EVEN if it worked good just because of what brand it is. Sorry, but that's just how it is. I didn't get several sponsors to show around the southeast region of the US using cheap parts.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
I'm not brainwashed, I just use what's proven in the world of turbocharging JZ motors. I got too much money invested to "experiment". That's fine if someone wants to try them out for a low budget setup. Alot of people, including myself, won't even use that turbo EVEN if it worked good just because of what brand it is. Sorry, but that's just how it is. I didn't get several sponsors to show around the southeast region of the US using cheap parts.

You're a funny guy.

In one thread you talk about how people don't push the limits of the 1J enough and try new things and in another thread you talk about how you don't want to experiment and you're just doing what's tried and true.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
You can build a 1000whp 1jz using proven off the shelf parts that everyone else in the JZ world uses to make 1000+ whp. No expermental parts needed to push the limits beyond what everyone is stuck on (500whp).

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
And that means that someone shouldn't try something new? Not everyone wants to follow the same cookie cutter method to make X amount of power.

Maybe some people are very satisfied with their cars at 500hp cars. You should post more on Supraforums instead where the majority of people aren't impressed if you don't have a GT47-80/88 and make less than 1000hp.

Oh wait, you've been banned from there like 5 times and that's why you're here.

Waving your GT4088 setup in this guys face as if he should have gone that route instead doesn't show alot of tact.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
ric, im with you. I believe in whats tried and true, even if holsets are used on factory diesels. I do not believe in cheaping out, especially when it comes to a turbo. If someone is willing to experiment, so be it, but get ready for the worst, because i can tell anyone now eating an impeller blade could cost some good money.

Sidebar, holsets sure cheap, but their design is not for a 2.5l gas engine. Try it out, but the boost im sure will come on hard as a rock. Considering haven driven an 06 cummins and they come on pretty strong.

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
so Ric buys names....lol....I guess it's like shoes....if you're wearing air Jordans, you may FEEL like you can play basketball better than someone else, but it still doesn't mean you don't suck....

Let's see here....Many people are going with Garret as a lower priced alternative to HKS, Greddy, Turbonetics, etc...you can't argue that they make quality turbos for less than thier japanese name brand counterparts...

so is this not the same thing to go with a holset? Do you not like them because the only ones you've ever seen were dirty and not up to par?

Or maybe cuz it's not the "cool" thing to do?

Holset was way ahead of garret for years...seems strange for someone to preach about "tried and true".....these are holset's designs being put into garrett turbochargers..

But in summation, garretts are great turbochargers...

so are holsets....

so why are people even having this p*ssing match...

this was an informative thread....

go start your own thread titled "my turbo's better than yours"

post all the pics you want...

in the mean time, I'd like to read about this guy's project as well as other Holset information...

can we please get back on topic here??:icon_evil

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
This is all really funny to me. I think there's some confusion as to my motivations for this setup. For me saving money is important because every dollar I save on performance parts is a dollar I have for well, Tires. That's right I buy lots of tires. And lots of gas.

Ric is right you get more "sponsors" and all that running "brand name" parts. If I were in his situation I might do the same as him. But my car gets driven. That's it's purpose, to entertain me. Not to get sponsors, not to win some car show. Winning shows and bragging about numbers isn't my thing. I'll leave the poser shit to the experts.

Further examples of my car's reason for being:
l_b2c8c88e0e2d94807bec57d8685874c8.jpg

l_05522e29ea72fe85fc733a029ca1aad8.jpg

I can show off in my own thread right?

So, back on topic. I don't even plan on making 500whp. If I do that's great but I'm totally happy above 350whp. I'll try my hardest to get to a dyno this weekend and finish straightening things out. I've been building 20v corolla all week so I haven't had time :(

I don't know where the whole being cheap is bad kind of thinking comes from.
But yeah, no one worth a damn respects money. And in my opinion everyone respects a clever setup.

/end

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
ok first of all, if youve researched it at all you would know greddy and HKS are all overpriced and the quality is of that most dual bb turbos.

Second, about "tried and true" name a car with a holset that wasnt diesel. I guess what people dont understand is the diesel turbos (im not sure if the aftermarket ones are the same as these) are designed for something that has 20:1 compression and above! That meaning if you put just a regular turbo on one, it would prob overspool mostly to the point of wearing out the bearing in at least twice the time it would take a normal gasoline engine and then eat an impeller blade.

I can tell you now, the reason most havent done it, is for the research they have done regarding design, and thats why high horsepower CARS dont run them. And another reason why spend lots of money on an engine swap then cheap when its turbo time?

oh and this was an information thread. Read the title not which is better, but it would include why or why not use the turbo.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
tturnpaw said:
I can tell you now, the reason most havent done it, is for the research they have done regarding design, and thats why high horsepower CARS dont run them. And another reason why spend lots of money on an engine swap then cheap when its turbo time?

oh and this was an information thread. Read the title not which is better, but it would include why or why not use the turbo.

Well, it seems to be working fine for me. You said it yourself that it's more durable. My car is now faster with hella retarded timing and too much fuel at 10psi than it ever was with stock twins running 14-16. As far as I can tell it behaves like any other turbo of it's size. Can you please elaborate on what part of the design would make it so unsuitable for a gas engine?

I really can't wait to tune it. I just talked to my coworker and I might be heading to the dyno tonight. yes!