Holset HE351VE (No 56k and tons of pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Well I picked this up today for my single project.....

I know Jon (Mdcmotorsports) said bad idea at first when trying to control the electronics, but said with a mechanical actuator to control the veins it might work well. But I believe this turbo is going to have some great potential If setup correctly. Also if you look on google there has been people running this turbo with success.

I'm going to use a mechanical actuator with a manual boost controller to control the vanes. I'll be building the adapter plate to go from the turbo flange to a T4 flange. Using a 46mm wastegate also to keep it under control. Also it is watercooled and weighs a ton!

This will be going on a 1jz running Megasquirt 2.

Well here is some pictures.

Go to the last post for the most up to date information.

Next to a CT12A
p1514623_1.jpg

p1514623_2.jpg

p1514623_3.jpg

p1514623_4.jpg

p1514623_5.jpg

p1514623_6.jpg

p1514623_7.jpg

p1514623_8.jpg

p1514623_9.jpg

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Good luck on that. If you're going to ignore the Turbo SME's, you're not going to listen to me either...

You're never going to be able to manage the VTG effectively.

Here's my Mitsubishi Heavy Industries TF08-Z 30V-VATN turbo (Don't bother looking it up, it's a prototype and only 1 of 4 in existence) next to a stock CT-26 :
MVC-919S.JPG

If you ever get it to work, I'll come up to VA and buy a steak dinner, 100% my treat. (I gave up on the idea years ago)

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Does that turbo work the same as the holset does or is it like the garrets VNT?

I'll be keeping this thread updated on the progress of the modifications I'll be doing to be able to control the vanes...

Also why is this thread moved to 7M-GTE technical..... This thread has nothing to do with a 7M-GTE or is going on a 7M.

Video....

[video=youtube;y9bi3hTaFUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9bi3hTaFUA[/video]

Last edited:

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Supracentral;1514642 said:
Good luck on that. If you're going to ignore the Turbo SME's, you're not going to listen to me either...

You're never going to be able to manage the VTG effectively.

Here's my Mitsubishi Heavy Industries TF08-Z 30V-VATN turbo (Don't bother looking it up, it's a prototype and only 1 of 4 in existence) next to a stock CT-26 :
MVC-919S.JPG

If you ever get it to work, I'll come up to VA and buy a steak dinner, 100% my treat. (I gave up on the idea years ago)

Well when you are up this way and once I get this up and running..... A few people have already have it working using a mechanical actuator. I'll take you up on that steak dinner.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Cool. Maybe these things have gotten better over the years.

I'll still buy you that steak genro. :)

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I had a TF08, but did not want to deal with space problem of the actuator, so I sold it.
It had a small hydraulic cylinder that moved the vane assembly, and it hung out the side of the turbo about another 8".
No idea what they used on the original heavy equipment application to control the cylinder.
I had thought about just a manual control from the dash, like a knod/cable set-up that would turn a lead screw arrangement to pull/push the actuator arm.
But decided to just bite the bullet, and buy my T88 instead..........

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Ok here is some updates.

I know have a mechanical actuator working. Well here some pictures and even video!

Its not done yet. Still have to do some more welding and cleaning up to make sure it won't break. Oh and it needs some ceramic paint.

p1522718_1.jpg

p1522718_2.jpg

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
But if you're supposed to be seeing boost pressure at idle, and that actuator opens under boost wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the VNT technology? So the problem isn't making the turbine switch from small to large, but controlling it to use it effectively? Right?
Would T'ing in a boost controller be enough the regulate the actuator to take full advantage of that turbo?

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
No boost at idle..... I wish. It spools extremely fast for its size. Easily have full spool before 4krpm.
I'll let the expert explain how it works.

It works very well btw.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Supra_Villan;1558957 said:
Explanation on how this works and benefits?

Here's some basic stuff to get you started. I'll add to it later.

Suprapowaz!(2);1558973 said:
But if you're supposed to be seeing boost pressure at idle, and that actuator opens under boost wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the VNT technology?
So the problem isn't making the turbine switch from small to large, but controlling it to use it effectively? Right?
Would T'ing in a boost controller be enough the regulate the actuator to take full advantage of that turbo?

1.) No. The spring inside the wastegate head has enough psi to keep the VNT system working.
2.)Precisely. There's a reason Garrett and Holset use electronics for this. There's also a reason you don't put electronics next to very hot things....
3.)Possibly. The VNT uses the veins to control the speed of the turbine, much like a wastegate but with the added function of being an engine brake too.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Also just to let anyone that wants to attempt this it takes a lot of fabrication to get this massive turbo to fit under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.