Holset HE341 or HE351CW on a supra?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
So, after doing more research and someone offering to buy my modified T88... ive decided to look into a Different turbo. the HX and HY35's from the 89-97 and 98-02 Dodge Cummin's powered trucks are nice and all. the HE341 from the 03-04 ram is supposed to be slightly more efficient and has a 4" V-band outlet. then the HE351CW from the 04.5-07 5.9L Dodge Cummins powered trucks should be even more efficient than the previous model.

HE341 was on a 305hp/555tq rated motors
HE351CW was on the 325/605tq rated motors

also, the HE351CW has what is referred to as a "Command Valve" affixed to the front compressor housing. its basically an electronic boost control solenoid. unfortunately, i cant tell if its a Stepper or a traditional valve. but it basically acts Just like an EBC as it controls when the boost air signal gets to the WG actuator. it allows the WG to stay shut until the appropriate boost level is realized by the Cummins ECM. then it sends a signal to the Command Valve and allows the boost air signal to pass to the Actuator head and begin controlling exhaust gas pressure.

anyone (john?) know anything about the command valve? would it be a 12volt signal like a normal solenoid that can be controlled with an aftermarket hobb's switch? if it is, im totally going to use it!

but, can anyone confirm or deny whether the HE351 actually flows more air than the HE341? im not sure if it really matters, since itll probably be an insignificant amount... but im just wondering.

thanks
chris

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah, i figured that i could do that. but if it turns out to be a stepper like a mitsibishi or toyota ISC, i doubt i could use it. then id have to re-engineer the boost source for the internal gate setup. if i KNOW it is a stepper, id just avoid it and go straight for the 341 which is more traditional w/ just a nipple and hose.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
No.

The "341" & "351" are the same with the 341 being a "myth" of the diesel world. (The Hy35 & HE351 were the turbos offered on the new rams)

Both the "Electronic command valve" and the mechanical system are the same turbo, different compressor housings.

This turbo is becomming hard to find.

Why?

Its been deemed the "poor mans Gt35R."

And for good reason. Its hits hard, spools fast, and will make over 450hp.

Did I mention they are bullet proof?