hole behind the head?

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
My Supra is at the mechanics. He noticed behind the head (left side exhaust side) there is a hole facing directly towards the firewall. I felt behind there on my project car and it seems to just be a hole filled with a screw but I was wondering if anyone could give me more insight to what exactly this hole is for.

(Previous owner put a new head on the car)

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
just talked to the owner of the car before me... he said the head was manufactured. Fits US Spec. He is pretty sure the EGR is on the car...

now I don't have my supra here to feel around but with my parts car I put my hand behind it (1988 is in the shop, 1986.5 is sitting at home) and feeling where the head woudl be it felt like a bolt, now if I moved my hand up, it felt more like an EGR wrapped in rubber. I think my mechanic is speaking about the part directly level with the manifold but on the back of the head.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
If anyone would be able to supply pictures of the rear end of the head that would be probably the easiest, as I coudl e-mail them to my mechanic and from there he can point out what part he was talking about and also get a better view of it.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
looking at the TSRM

EM_053.gif

it looks to be the EGR cooler that is missing if he says there is a hole, since technically all the images I have seen show no holes unless the EGR cooler is missing... does that sound accurate to everyone?