hks wastegate-what happens if you use the top nipple?

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I just finished up installing my turbo stuff, and I'm fairly confident that we hooked up the wastegate to the wrong nipple. Being about 40 miles away from the car, I can't exactly go and check, but the boost gauge reads about 5 lbs (the turbo is a gt4088) at most if floored, which isn't right.

I'm thinking the wastegate is staying open, since we hooked it up to the nipple on the top of the unit. Does this sound feasible?

You can hear the turbo spooling, but it feels like an N/A car. It doesn't pull at all.

Any other ideas?

-Devon Goodspeed

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You should be hooked up to both the top and bottom as a loop, fed with the same pressure line; with a boost control mech. in line with the top of the waste gate to bleed off pressure. This will allow you to adjust your boost pressure more than just the waste gate spring pressure.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
gofastgeorge;997744 said:
Is it the standard WG, with 4-bolt mount,
or one of the larger ones with V-clamp?

It's the four-bolt, 38mm I think, but I'm not positive, I've had it for a while.

and suprarich, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have an hks evc, but I do not want to use it yet, as my wastegate has a 9lb. spring, which should be plenty for the time being, plus I need to tune it and whatnot before I shoot for anything higher.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
also, since I'm sure someone is going to mention it, I do have the flange thing for the wastegate (piece that goes between the mounting surface of the wastegate and the flange on the manifold), so that couldn't be the problem...

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
dou you have a dump tube on the wastegate or is it recirculated? or open? if its just open that could be it. make sure you have at least a dump tube, i usually set them up a minimum of 6in long on cars ive helped turbo with dump tubes. any shorter and it seems to not boost as much as it should which is what it sounds like your problem is.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Which nipple do you have your vacuum line hooked up to? You should be able to run a vacuum line straight from the turbo compressor to the side port of the wastegate. That should give you the boost straigh off the wastegate spring.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Alright, I got it taken care of. It was a combination between the fact that we hooked it up to the wrong nipple, since there wasn't enough room for the side one.

To remedy that, I disassembled the wastegate while still on the car, and added a right angle in it, so it points towards the turbo.

The reason it wouldn't boost was because the studs somehow got bent on my manifold, and the turbo wouldn't seat correctly. Took care of that, and it boosted to 13ish lbs, before jerking like hell.

It felt like fuel cut, but I have a maf-translator, and have fuel cut turned off on it.

I don't know what's going on there.