HKS Turbo kits WTF

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Ok everyone, I can only find one thread on this forum and zero threads on SF that has any information on the multiple HKS turbo upgrades that were released for the 7M.

From what i have gathered, there were roughly three options:

1. The Sport turbo upgrade- A internally gated, direct bolt on(used by Reg)
2. The full upgrade kit- Externally gated T4, T04, or maybe even T3, came with a cast manifold, wastegate, and downpipe?
3. The NA kit- I suppose this was a NA-T kit?

Am I simply overlooking readily available information, or is no one that familiar with these kits? I have been searching for information on the #2 kit mentioned above. Any productive input would be greatly appreciated.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Its just like the many greddy kits that were released for the 7M as well you never heard about aside from their turbo upgrade (20G which i happen to run).

There were more than three options ill list the kits i know about from both companies. Many of these kits were never sold by the US distributers.

HKS
Sport Turbo
T04 Single
a twin kit not sure what size turbos they were.

Trust
TD06-20G
TD06-25G
TD07-25G
RHC-7
T67, T78, and T88 singles
Twin kit i believe they were two small TD06-16G's.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
that would be cool to get a hold of...

How awesome would it be to have a twin Turbo 7M maybe not the best but still would intrest me

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There very over priced..

The greddy td06 kit or what ever for the 7m is like 3k for the turbo manifold and ic and pipes. Still need fuel and tuning. Can piece a better kit together for like 1500 and then have 1500 for supporting mods. A good tubular manifold will do better than a cast as well.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
JDMMA70;1742191 said:
Many of these kits were never sold by the US distributers.

I agree, this probably is way so little is known about them.

Turbo Habanero;1742196 said:
that would be cool to get a hold of...
Indeed
hvyman;1742213 said:
There very over priced..

The greddy td06 kit or what ever for the 7m is like 3k for the turbo manifold and ic and pipes. Still need fuel and tuning. Can piece a better kit together for like 1500 and then have 1500 for supporting mods. A good tubular manifold will do better than a cast as well.
Agreed, unless you can piece together a used setup ;)

As for cast vs. tube type, i would run cast on the street if there was a choice, cast seems to have a longer lifespan.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

As for the T4 family, was there only one size/type(T04...) offered in a package from HKS?

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I have Some 16g turbos from a dsm laying around. lol.

If you want twin turbo, you should look into putting the ct12a from a 1jz onto the 7m, I looked into an adapter a long time ago, but never made them.

For what its worth Im making Ct12a upgrades with a steel shaft and 60 trim compressor upgrades. Have Cost and my labors I should have the kit released for the $800 dollar range. still in the R&D state tho....Maybe I work something out with a local 7m guy that is willing to run twins....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, for what they are, they're outdated. In the 90's, there weren't as many options as we have now, and so these kits would have been a GREAT alternative, IF you had some serious cash to throw around. Not saying they weren't well-engineered though, far from it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Albert;1742359 said:
I have Some 16g turbos from a dsm laying around. lol.

If you want twin turbo, you should look into putting the ct12a from a 1jz onto the 7m, I looked into an adapter a long time ago, but never made them.

For what its worth Im making Ct12a upgrades with a steel shaft and 60 trim compressor upgrades. Have Cost and my labors I should have the kit released for the $800 dollar range. still in the R&D state tho....Maybe I work something out with a local 7m guy that is willing to run twins....

That would be great. Running twins on a 7M would be definitley on the unique side and thats what im shooting for :). To run twins on a 7M what would you need to get done?

Custom Exhaust Manifold
Choice of Turbo's (CT-12a)
Custom Oil and water lines
Custom Down pipe
Custom Wastegate?

What else would you need?

I'd definitley be willing to do it though.

Albert i had already decided i was gonna buy a CT-26 Upgrade from you. I guess i can hold off a bit lol.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Sure the unique factor is there, but turbo tech has come leaps and bounds in the last few years. Thats part of the reason you see so many OEMs going the turbo route these days. A well sized single will likely fit the bill for 90% of people here. I just moved to a 6065 billet turbo, and it has nearly identical spool to my old CT upgrade. At 7 psi, the ass dyno is telling me it makes more power than the old one at 12 psi. Those CT12s fall into that "old tech" category. Sure retro is cool, but for the same (or even less) $, you can have better power, response, and reliability.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Some photo's from the link that Mecevens posted :)

p1742405_1.jpg

p1742405_2.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

adampecush;1742404 said:
Sure the unique factor is there, but turbo tech has come leaps and bounds in the last few years. Thats part of the reason you see so many OEMs going the turbo route these days. A well sized single will likely fit the bill for 90% of people here. I just moved to a 6065 billet turbo, and it has nearly identical spool to my old CT upgrade. At 7 psi, the ass dyno is telling me it makes more power than the old one at 12 psi. Those CT12s fall into that "old tech" category. Sure retro is cool, but for the same (or even less) $, you can have better power, response, and reliability.

Personally I love power and i realize that there's leaps and bounds better choices to go with.
But i also love the fact of making something that people wouldn't normally do because of the exact point you pointed out.

Wouldn't it be amazing to see a 400+ Hp Twin Turbo 7M running low 12's down the track that would be something you would tell all your supra friends about :) and that's what i want

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
p1742630_1.jpg

This image is from a book i own, called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems". Its says that Norwood Performance built the car, and that it makes over 900 wheel...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There isn't a twin turbo from HKS for our car. It was for the 5M. It will fit of course, but is not a good idea. If you find a catalog and show it, that would be pretty neat. I am pretty sure it doesn't exist. The 5M twin turbo was sold in the US.

HKS sold a bolt on upgrade, and had two T4 manifolds along with the hook ups to use it on the 7MGTE or 7MGE as noted. They used to have quite the selection, no doubt.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
You can take old technology and update it. Run newer compessor wheels or turbines etc etc.

Hell what um currently working on is a billet wheel for the ct26 that is small as a 57trim but flows more than a 60-1 so people can stop bitching about how a 60-1 is too big for the stock shaft.

Also a redesigned higher flowing exhaust housing.

Same goes For the ct12

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Turbo Habanero;1742716 said:
I'm totally down to go twin turbo :)

Why reduce spool and increase lag? Because it is rare? Planning on two monsters with nitrous and 4 digit hp? That would probably get you there.

That Treadstone manifold in the other thread used to be about $600 years back. Then it was reduced. Now it see it inline with all the ads on ebay. How can anybody that is going to do a T4 build skip out on it?