HKS TEMS underdash kicker panel plugin - Where?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I just spent close to 2 hours with the glove box, bottom foot panel, and passenger-side kick panel pulled out looking for the harness to tap into for the HKS TEMS system and I can't find it anywhere. I've already measured the distance to the TEMS computer in the back and know by now that I don't have enough wire length to get there, so it HAS to be under that panel.

I pulled the Cygnus diagram for the wiring schematic and see that the TEMS wiring DOES end up somewhere near the ECU at the front, but with the kicker panel removed all I see is the ECT ECU. Researching the forum, many posts read like the plug is above and behind the ECT, but I can't see it there, even with the ECT ECU unbolted and lying on the carpet. What am I missing here? Is it further up the back, maybe right at the bleepin' ECU itself? Everyone says how easy this is to install, but I can't see how or where. (I'm probably blind and it's right back there in a polka-dot tutu doing handstands...) :: angry ::

And please, I read enough of the historical posts about how others should just give up and ditch TEMS, but I want to use this system. Sorry for being sarcastic, it's just annoying how many people kept chiming in about that crap. If ANYONE could please take a picture of where this wires up to and post it up for me, I'd give +1000 REP to that individual. I have half-a-mind to write up a tech article about this system, including pix of EVERYTHING involved, front/rear strut locations, TEMS computer location, center console wiring, hardwiring the system to work on full firm level, the works.

Please help.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
I could provide photo's of where it was on my jdm car if you would like I would just presume it would be mirrored so you might want to start looking behind the plastic pannel thats on the far right hand side

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Yeah, please post a pic because my ribs hurt from leaning on the seat half-in and half-out of the car with my head by the floorboard trying to see where it goes. And I had EVERYTHING disassembled on the passenger side with the glove box, floor panel, AND side kicker panel yanked to get a better view. An actual picture of the harness where it specifically plugs in is what I need, not a general pic of the area behind the panel because I saw all that and STILL couldn't find it.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
No tap in of wires needed at the module. Right passenger kick panel, plug and play. Power and ground connections done at the original TEMS buttons wire connector. All this of course if your harness was not hacked. If you have any other questions PM me. I had the system in my car at one point.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
bluepearl;1458254 said:
No tap in of wires needed at the module. Right passenger kick panel, plug and play. Power and ground connections done at the original TEMS buttons wire connector. All this of course if your harness was not hacked. If you have any other questions PM me. I had the system in my car at one point.

When I said "tapped" I really meant PnP to the harness by pulling out the plug to the TEMS and "tapping" into it by plugging up the HKS one on both sides. Forgot that tapping in also means stripping/soldering wires.

The ground for this adapter comes off of the wrapped wiring by one of the plugs instead of a separate plugin, so the power must route through the adapter plugs. And the harness is flawless, no hack-ins.

Here is a pic of mine...

p1458334_1.jpg

At this point I still need a visible pic of that location before I go in again, AFTER I let my ribs rest...

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
now remember my car is jdm so yours will be opposite and this plug will be plugged into your current tems controller

tems1 (Medium).JPG
remove this pannel from your passenger side (1 10mm nut and maybe a couple of srews none in mine though
tems2 (Medium).JPG

tems3 (Medium).JPG
and you should find this plug behind the panel
tems4 (Medium).JPG

they other way you could have done it is the way I found it was remove your original tems from the center panel and follow the wires to the pug while you are removing it

I hope this helps

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Okay. The unit is installed, and thanks to all who helped!

Now. Next fun question. When I have the unit set to "Auto", everything does as it should. TEMS is set to normal, and suspension advances as usual. When I switch it to "Manual", the indicator drops to 1 light for normal. But when I hit the sport button, I hear no click like I did before, and the lights stay at "1". But when I hit the "Hard" button, I get 2 lights on the far left and right of the panel flashing, but I hear the click sound. When I drive it on hard, I feel the tightness of the suspension in the turns and whatever turn I make, the light blinks in that direction, right light for a hard right turn, and vice versa. When I switch back to normal or sport, all three lights come on for a second or two and then it goes back to 1 light. Is this how the system is supposed to work?

Also, I thought the buttons were supposed to "light up". I made sure everything was tightly connected, so what am I missing, or is this how it's supposed to be?

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Drake69;1459695 said:
Okay. The unit is installed, and thanks to all who helped!

Now. Next fun question. When I have the unit set to "Auto", everything does as it should. TEMS is set to normal, and suspension advances as usual. When I switch it to "Manual", the indicator drops to 1 light for normal. But when I hit the sport button, I hear no click like I did before, and the lights stay at "1". But when I hit the "Hard" button, I get 2 lights on the far left and right of the panel flashing, but I hear the click sound. When I drive it on hard, I feel the tightness of the suspension in the turns and whatever turn I make, the light blinks in that direction, right light for a hard right turn, and vice versa. When I switch back to normal or sport, all three lights come on for a second or two and then it goes back to 1 light. Is this how the system is supposed to work?

Also, I thought the buttons were supposed to "light up". I made sure everything was tightly connected, so what am I missing, or is this how it's supposed to be?

My HKS TEMS controller has a black wire with white stripe coming out of the controller itself. This wire is connected to a 12VDC ignition source. At the end of the HKS harness that plugs into the vehicle harness located at the passenger kick panel there is a solid black wire for ground.

You might double check this with others here, but I'm 99% sure the black wire with white stripe is 12VDC ignition. This will provide power to the HKS TEMS controller.

My car is away right now undergoing a 2JZ swap, so this is from memory...

Best,

Brad

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Woody1989;1459832 said:
My HKS TEMS controller has a black wire with white stripe coming out of the controller itself. This wire is connected to a 12VDC ignition source. At the end of the HKS harness that plugs into the vehicle harness located at the passenger kick panel there is a solid black wire for ground.

You might double check this with others here, but I'm 99% sure the black wire with white stripe is 12VDC ignition. This will provide power to the HKS TEMS controller.

My car is away right now undergoing a 2JZ swap, so this is from memory...

Best,

Brad

Funny. The wires I have for mine are the big harness with the dual ends for the TEMS system and the black ground you just mentioned. It does NOT have a 12VDC third wire that I would imagine plugs into the small power harness where the old TEMS controller was. Now I'm probably going to need a schematic to wire up a power wire and splice it into the small harness.

Lovely. I did notice other controllers with that third wire and figured it was for power, but mine didn't have that. :: angry :: This is more fun than I imagined. Now, does anybody have or can take a pic of the BACK part of your HKS TEMS controller so I can solder (YIKE!) and splice a wire for power to the controller?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
This also explains why there was no lights to the controller on any of the buttons, without direct power to the controller, it's not responding as designed. I'm determined to make this work!!! (Especially after spending $300!!) :: angry ::

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
p1459891_1.jpg

p1459891_2.jpg

p1459891_3.jpg

p1459891_4.jpg

LOVE my HKS stuff... including the TEMS!:love:

...still sporting the original HKS suspension set with licensed KYB shocks!:aigo:

-crisp

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I recently wired up my HKS TEMS controller and just like the OP stated, it does not have any additional power wire. Just the main 2 plug harness and a ground wire. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet since my car is currently in the build-up process.

Why do some of these units not have the power wire? I looked mine over and it doesn't appear to have any place for it.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Come to think of it, I'm pretty familiar with the units wire colors since I just hacked the harness in half and spliced in a plug for quick disconnects. There are a total of 10 wires. There are 2 black wires and 2 black wires with white stripes. I about shit when I realized this since at first I had no idea which was which. It turns out that the identical colored wires are only differentiated by their thicknesses. If you look close, you'll see one is like 16ga and the other 18ga. Due to the wires dark color, it is very hard to differentiate and I had to bend them to tell the thicker from thinner (thinner bends easier). When I was tracing those wires, I saw that the same colored wires actually are spliced into each other farther down the harness.

I wonder if the black/white wires draw power from somewhere else?

Maybe the OP just has a bad ground?

I'm thinking that maybe there are 2 versions of these units. One of pre-89 and one for post 89.

I have the wiring diagram someone in my garage. I'm going to check it out later and see if it sheds any light on this.

Last edited:

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
I PM'ed the original owner, and he said the same thing, that this harness never had a separate plugin for power. It's quite possible that different years of the HKS had the extra plugin (probably the older ones), and some didn't (newer maybe?). I suspect my ground is wrong although I did ground it out to the frame, but I'll yank everything out and try it again to be sure.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
I do remember my HKS TEMS controller has that black/white stripe wire either zip tied or hot glued to the controller separate from the main harness. Mine is a 1989 7MGTE and I'm pretty sure I bought the HKS TEMS controller in either 1989 or 1990 direct from HKS USA. You've got me curious now...I'll have to check it once I get it back.

Sure wish I had the car back in my garage today...perfect targa weather!

Best,

Brad