HKS PFC-FCON = 500HP capable?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Well, I'm pretty loaded up with "OLD-SKOOL" HKS alphabet soup for my engine management. I actually LIKE all the analog stuff, with the "tower-of-power" in my center console, and the relatively fluid integration that it has allowed between components. I'm aware of the mid-400HP capacity with the 550cc injectors, but would like to know if anyone has or is aware of someone who has broken the 500whp mark with HKS management on a 7M.

Thought I'd put out the feeler, so I can set a realistic target for my set-up considerations moving forward, or consider a stand-alone if I plan to get "greedy".

Thanks.

-crisp

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sure, it's been done more than once - but you'll have to source a bigger chip for the alphabet soup and upgrade the injectors. Information might be a bit hard to come by these days, mostly it was posted on the old mailing list long before SM (or SF, for that matter.) Someone might have an archive available somewhere, do some searching for the SOGI mailing list.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
if the op is looking for an fcon i have one collecting dust in my closet for the past few years. im just going to stick with my vpc, gcc, evc 1 combo.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
GrimJack;1259807 said:
Sure, it's been done more than once - but you'll have to source a bigger chip for the alphabet soup and upgrade the injectors. Information might be a bit hard to come by these days, mostly it was posted on the old mailing list long before SM (or SF, for that matter.) Someone might have an archive available somewhere, do some searching for the SOGI mailing list.

Thank you for the leads, GrimJack. Always enjoy your input when I see it.

I was at this over a dozen years ago when I picked up this car... and I've stuck with the HKS progression all the way through, so hate to change it now. Kinda nostalgic for me, since I lived in Japan when the EVC and such first came to light on the Skyline's and all in the early-mid eighties.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MKIIINA;1259969 said:
if the op is looking for an fcon i have one collecting dust in my closet for the past few years. im just going to stick with my vpc, gcc, evc 1 combo.

Thanks, I have my original Fcon from back in the early '90s... still working perfect!

Here's some of the setup:

p1259979_1.jpg

p1259979_2.jpg

p1259979_3.jpg

^^^ The SBC (Scramble Boost Controller) is the Cats Meow! A whole story in itself!:biglaugh:

Also running HKS IC and plumbing and the SSBV and 550cc's from HKS too.

Still hoping to squeeze pretty close to 500whp out of this... so I'm wanting to model those who went there before!:1zhelp:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Hmmm... late realization that I probably SHOULD have posted this in the "piggyback eng. mgmt." section... my bad.

-crisp

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Not really crisp, the SME sections are for when you specifically want the answer from the SME of that section (in this case Dr. Jonez) - there's a lot of knowledge out here in the general tech sections and I suspect you'll get all the answers you need without specifically hitting up Dr. J for the knowledge.

In this case, yes the F-CON can get you there, but personally I find the F-CON runs a car too rich. In reality your GCC and VPC are enough to get you there.

Eric Varah did 622 RWHP on nothing more than big injectors (780's), a Lexus AFM and a S-AFC.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
SS,

Thank you for that affirmation. The finest quality in raising the "bar" for us all. (Yeah, pun INtended!:biglaugh:)

I'll see where I can get with these old classics components, and let you all know how it comes together along the way.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
GrimJack;1259807 said:
Sure, it's been done more than once - but you'll have to source a bigger chip for the alphabet soup and upgrade the injectors.

GrimJack,

I'm suspecting you are meaning Fcon rom BEYOND the 550cc written chip? (And injectors beyond the 550cc std upgrade?)

I'm thinking the mathmatical limits keep that level of fuel at JUST SHY of 500 to the wheels... hence the need for something "custom" in the Fcon?

(Sorry, I'll do some more of my own research! ...but if you know, each piece helps.)

-crisp

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, that's exactly it. The 550cc injectors are good to just shy of 500 at the wheels, to get over that mark you'll need something slightly bigger.

Or you'll need to find one of the old AIC (Additional Injector Controller) modules and plug it in as well. I don't recall off the top of my head whether HKS was the guys that made the AIC - but they made one for sure, it just might be called something else.

These beasties come with another electronic module to control them, and either a 3000 pipe or a manifold with an additional two spots to mount injectors. They were used because back in the 1980s, big injectors spit out so much fuel at minimum settings that it was impossible to get a decent idle. So with this setup, you can get a good idle / cruise, and the AIC turns on the additional injectors as you need them.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
GrimJack;1260242 said:
Yes, that's exactly it. The 550cc injectors are good to just shy of 500 at the wheels, to get over that mark you'll need something slightly bigger.

Or you'll need to find one of the old AIC (Additional Injector Controller) modules and plug it in as well. I don't recall off the top of my head whether HKS was the guys that made the AIC - but they made one for sure, it just might be called something else.

These beasties come with another electronic module to control them, and either a 3000 pipe or a manifold with an additional two spots to mount injectors. They were used because back in the 1980s, big injectors spit out so much fuel at minimum settings that it was impossible to get a decent idle. So with this setup, you can get a good idle / cruise, and the AIC turns on the additional injectors as you need them.

Yes, HKS AIC unit it was! I have all that old catalog literature from HKS since I was into it already back when they were "current".

I've often considered obtaining that unit, and also the IPM (Injection Pulse Monitor) just to round out the array! lol!

I'm looking to see how far I can take it reliably with the stock ex mani, perhaps an SP61 spool, or keep the CT's with largest trim I can run. I believe either scenario are still well within the limits of the HKS mgmt. tools... with the 61 out-flexing what I can probably throw at it, but that might not be too bad in a balanced package.

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
billwert;1260246 said:
I seen one in the for sale section not too long ago. An AIC by HKS I believe.

Thank you for the tip... I'm looking at that right now. It is also one of the EARLY (original) AIC with DIALS that push in to lock. (Like my current stuff! CHOICE!)

I'll keep you all posted... but WITH it, I'm thinking 500whp is a non-issue even with the limits of the P-FCON.:naughty:

I'M PUMPED!

-crisp