HKS not opening at low boost.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
So I traded my Turbo XS RFL BOV for an HKS SSQV. I got it installed last night, I welded the flange in the same location I had my old Turbo XS bov flange. I used the same vaccum line off of the stock location as the stock BOV. It seems I get some mad compressor surge at the turbo. At full boost it will open, but just a bit, enough to be some what audiable.

And tips? Or where have you guys ran you vaccum source from?

I have 2.5" Hard pipes and a aftermarket Intercooler similiar to the stock one in size.

My other TUrbo XS would open up clean and no fluttering at all.

Any help?

Also the BOV is like 2' 1/2 away from the TB.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
First, is a real HKS or a clone ?

Second, the SSQV is sensitive to dirt coming in through the vacuum signal line.
That is why HKS supplied them with a small inline filter.
If you, or the person you bought it from used it without the filter, then it most likely has something under the internal check valve.
The check valve is a little silicone rubber thing, that you can only see the retaining tip of it iff you take the back cover off them.

This can be cleaned by flooding the vacuum inlet with WD-40, and blowing low pressure air through it.
Like 40 psi works well.
I have cleared several of these that way, and you will be supprized how much junk gets in there.

If you get it working, by all means put a small in-line filter back on it.

If it's a clone, good luck...........

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
gofastgeorge;1473968 said:
This can be cleaned by flooding the vacuum inlet with WD-40, and blowing low pressure air through it.
Like 40 psi works well.
I have cleared several of these that way, and you will be supprized how much junk gets in there.

you ever tried this on a greddy?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I have been into the GReddys.
They don't have a check valve in them.
If they are not functioning, most likely they have a shot diaphragm.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
ima give that wd-40 trick a try soon, mine opens everytime at high boost, but low boost i get a lil bit of compressor surge.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Well I've seen other members on here using these BOV\s and it seems some of the get no flutter.

I just test drove my car right now. I get a flutter ever at 8 psi. At 10psi I get a little tiny whistle.

Ill try getting a better vaccum source and then if that dosent work, ill clean it up like gofastgeorge said.

And yes, its a genuine HKS BOV.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
gofastgeorge;1473968 said:
First, is a real HKS or a clone ?

Second, the SSQV is sensitive to dirt coming in through the vacuum signal line.
That is why HKS supplied them with a small inline filter.
If you, or the person you bought it from used it without the filter, then it most likely has something under the internal check valve.
The check valve is a little silicone rubber thing, that you can only see the retaining tip of it iff you take the back cover off them.

Like 40 psi works well.

If you get it working, by all means put a small in-line filter back on it.

If it's a clone, good luck...........

Well I just installed it yesterday. So I dont have to take it apart for this procedure ? Ill probably give it a try.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
redmaro;1473911 said:
So I traded my Turbo XS RFL BOV for an HKS SSQV. I got it installed last night, I welded the flange in the same location I had my old Turbo XS bov flange. I used the same vaccum line off of the stock location as the stock BOV. It seems I get some mad compressor surge at the turbo. At full boost it will open, but just a bit, enough to be some what audiable.

And tips? Or where have you guys ran you vaccum source from?

I have 2.5" Hard pipes and a aftermarket Intercooler similiar to the stock one in size.

My other TUrbo XS would open up clean and no fluttering at all.

Any help?

Also the BOV is like 2' 1/2 away from the TB.

Redmaro,
I too had a little surge on low boost, on cooler days, until I moved the SSQV over the turbo, in the stock location. Now the issue only appears on cold mornings before the turbo heats the SSQV. Van

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
After we got my engine running, I had the same problem, but a little worse- my *knockoff* SSQV didn't open at all! I pulled it apart and checked the check valve, and it was leaking quite badly in both directions. I tried to find a new check valve, but as of yet haven't been able to source one. Cleaning it didn't help, and I really wanted to drive my car so this is what I did:

Disassemble BOV completely
Take the the check valve off and put a capped nut onto the end of the shaft
Drill a small hole in between the middle chamber (B) and the pressure chamber (C)
Reassemble BOV
This allows the BOV to operate, but it stays open at idle. Once I do find a check valve, this is all completely reversible (put a bolt into the drilled hole).

It should be noted that my car is running speed-density so I had no ill affects from this. This may cause poor driveability or set codes on MAF vehicles, unless equipped with a recirculation fitting.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Well long story short, the BOV works perfectly!

I cleaned it up like Gofastgeorge said, and bam! It works flawlessly! No flutter or compression surge at all!

Thanks Gofastgeorge.

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
I left the stock unit in place when I installed the SSQV, both vented to atmosphere since I'm speed density mode on the MAFT-Pro. No issues from the install date at which time the stock unit did surge a bit at 14psi.