HKS Fuel Cut Defencer, positive pressure = fuel cut!!!! help pls

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
well after installing my fuel cut defencer i rechecked and triple checked all my wires and the setting on the FCD. all 5 wires connected right *to the book at least unless im not understanding something*, it made it even easier that my safc2 uses the same wires as well so that goes on good. but if the fuel cut defencer is connected it will either sit at idle with an engine check light on (off of setting 3 or 12), but on setting 3 and 12 the car will hit fuel cut at any positive pressure in the manifold. how do i fix this!?!?!? i have no experience with a FCD but i did build the car from scratch, so any ideas will be extremely helpful. thank you all in advance

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hey kracin

my advice. Disconnect the FCD. If you did it right the "butt plugs" should rejoin the harness without the FCD in the way.

one thing you didn't mention

the FCD should not have ANY adjustmentes to it. If it does you have the wrong one.

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
what butt plugs are you talkin about, if you mean the snap connectors for the yellow and white, i know that they should create a loop going through the fcd and not just the fcd connected against the ecu

and the k3 fcd from hks has a dial adjustment on it, im not sure what the older style looked like or what it did, but this one has 1-12 for adjustments on it, apparently each one has a special resistor in that spot to adjust for a different cars boost pressure sensor and the third setting is supposedly used for mk3's

ill have to take another look at it, but i am probably going to take the damn thing out and find another way to raise fuel cut even higher, i already run a 19 psi fuel cut with 550s and a lexus afm, but i havent turned out my screw yet, hopefully i can get past 20 with that, but id like to go higher seein as im getting a new turbo within a week.

any idea for another way to get rid of fuel cut??

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
kracin said:
what butt plugs are you talkin about, if you mean the snap connectors for the yellow and white, i know that they should create a loop going through the fcd and not just the fcd connected against the ecu

and the k3 fcd from hks has a dial adjustment on it, im not sure what the older style looked like or what it did, but this one has 1-12 for adjustments on it, apparently each one has a special resistor in that spot to adjust for a different cars boost pressure sensor and the third setting is supposedly used for mk3's

ill have to take another look at it, but i am probably going to take the damn thing out and find another way to raise fuel cut even higher, i already run a 19 psi fuel cut with 550s and a lexus afm, but i havent turned out my screw yet, hopefully i can get past 20 with that, but id like to go higher seein as im getting a new turbo within a week.

any idea for another way to get rid of fuel cut??

they must have just changed it as I was running an HKS FCD a WHILE ago (1996) and that one had NO dials what so ever. HKS states that their Standard does infact have that dial but I can not find Type K3 anywhere.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
The K3 looks exactly the same as the one in the picture you attached with the adjustable dial - I have one on my Supra also. Before I installed mine, I called HKS to verify the part # on the back of my FCD was indeed a K3 type. Maybe I'm confused on what you're trying to point out?

figgie said:
yes well aware that the Supra uses a type K3. Been that way since the early 90.

That picture is of the standard/normal FCD again.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
pb92supraturbo said:
The K3 looks exactly the same as the one in the picture you attached with the adjustable dial - I have one on my Supra also. Before I installed mine, I called HKS to verify the part # on the back of my FCD was indeed a K3 type. Maybe I'm confused on what you're trying to point out?

then it changed as it never had a dial before.

anyway. Now on to the FCD.

Total waste of money and the fastest way to blow you engine sky high.

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
ok so how about some reasonable ways to raise fuel cut past 21-22 psi without going standalone.. cause im not spending 2000 just to do a rewire on the ecu and electrical when i spent 8 months doing the electrical to get the cressida swap to work with the body harness into the supra ecu lol...

Clifton

Apr 5, 2005
Scottsdale, Az
I wouldn't say they are a waste of money. I would say the same about maft though. Use the fcd. I ran 28 psi with it and lex afm. No cheaper way to do it. If you need a boost safety use a N.C. pressure switch ($20) on your ignition or fuel.

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
nc pressure switch? care to ellaborate, i may have built the car but theres always things to learn when it comes to performance and little known mods

problem with the fcd is that it isnt functioning correctly lol, which is what this whole thread was started for, so i just wanted to know if anyone had the same problem as me that i put in the first post. and i am looking to run 28-30 psi on race gas and proper tuning to get some good numbers and times as well

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
If you're looking to run that much boost and want to tune it properly, go standalone...IMO, of course.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I have have dynoed at 25psi with me Lex AFM/SAFC and FCD. The combination should work. I believe the dial should be on #3 if I remember correctly. I cannot remember how it was wired in, but I did just what the directions said which seemed simple enough. Before I installed the FCD, I would hit fuel cut at 19psi(untuned).Make sure you have no boost leaks or vacuum leaks.