HKS Filters suck

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
How many times has this been pointed out now?

Maybe people will see this and start to understand that foam air filters don't belong on cars, keep them in fourwheelers where they're suppose to be...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
meh, I like my filter just fine.

Rebuild%2027.JPG

The only problem I've had is not tightening it down enough, and have the damn filter fall off the frame :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
staticpat said:
... ERRR I mean get sucked

I had some major WOT problems a few months back, and just found this picture on my camera. The engine kept choking out and dieing over 2800RPMS. I logged with my wideband, spent an hour or so checking hoses and boost leak testing. Then my roomate pointed out something.

hksdiewc1.jpg

Hmm that may have been the problem. The turbo sucked up and chewed my HKS mushroom filter to pieces. It was clogging the AFM hardcore. The funny thing was I took off all the intake piping and AFM to boost leak test and didn't notice green foam pieces everywhere.

That's like... bad and stuff?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
why people run the HKS is beyond me, they dont filter worth shit, break appart, and look ugly as sin.

AEM Dry flo!

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
RazoE and Poodles are the only guys in here making sence.

that thing u posted u call a filter in the pic looks more like an old sack of weed!!! :3d_frown:

hksdiewc1.jpg

bag-of-weed.jpg

man u gotta replace ur shit! u let it get old and deteriorate like that u better belive ur loosing POWER AND HURTING UR SYSTEM AND NOW PROVEN SUCKING THE SHIT IN!!! (and im not talking about the weed)

HKS filters have been proven to not filter as well as most intakes. but none the less does the job and like any other filter, if maintained or replaced correcrtly u shouldnt have probs such as these.

lesson learned.

looking at ur sig pic, doesnt look like u treat ur filters too nicely either.

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I used to swear by the A'PEXi Power Intake, I was one of the first mk3 guys to buy one back in 2000. As a bolt-on air filter, it's one of the best, and the AEM DryFlow looks like it's pretty good as well.

However, if you're running a big single with a 4" intake, neither the A'PEXi or the AEM DryFlow will work out because neither of them are available as a universal with 4" diameter. At this point your only option is K&N, in which they have dozens of different 4" diameter cone filters with different lengths, etc. I agree with the K&N oil messing up your AFM, but with a big single you shouldn't be running an AFM anyway.

So K&N for the win. =P

-Ray

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
If you are running a 4" intake pipe on a big single, you most likely don't have a AFM anymore anyway so it doesn't matter.

I am running one of the AEM older oiled filters on my four inch intake. Got it from AEM's ebay store in the discontinued items section for 20 bucks shipped.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
pssh. filters are for pansies.

oil bath air cleaner ftmfw. i call it the OEM WetFlo

p769027_1.jpg

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
haha........ oil bath. i rebuilt a lawn mower engine that had an oil bath filter. can't possibly be efficient....... and i run a k&n and love it

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
they're pretty bad, but after 65 years its still running like a champ. take a listen.