Hitting Brick Wall at 5000 – 5500 rpm

synco357

Jan 30, 2008
Fort. Lauderdale
Hello members,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this intermittent problem I’m having. I was at the dyno this evening and every so often, I’ve been hitting a brick wall around 5000 – 5500 rpm.

My setup is:

JDM Aristo 2J Auto with Tom’s TEC - remapped ECU
OEM New coils and connectors, New IK22 Plugs gap .022
New HKS dli
SAFC 2
New Siemens 720cc injectors and resistor pack wired up
2- Bosch 044 External Pumps
Turbonetics T66 BB A/R .81, LOG manifold
Innovative 50mm Wastegate
Spearco intercooler
2 – HKS Racing Bypass valves

I’ve tried the stock ECU, disconnecting the DLI, Wiring the speed sensor straight and bypassing the cluster, installed new OEM coils and connectors.

Furthermore, I’ve installed a US spec shifter but the neutral safety and gear selector recognition switch is wired up…
Could this be my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

If you have experienced this problem please give me a call as I can explain verbally in greater detail. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy.

Thank,

Andre
561 716 2678

Video Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwsn9Qt7ak&feature=channel_page

synco357

Jan 30, 2008
Fort. Lauderdale
Supra-Man18;1348768 said:
How much boost are you running.. and what does this "Re-Mapped Ecu" consist off specifically ?

Re-map Tom`s ECU eliminates boost cut, speed cut and raises rev limiter. I would think fuel and timing curves have been altered as well.

The car made 437 @ 20 psi. Thereafter, we ran 2 more passes and it started to break up at 5500 rpm. So, we turn of the car and restart and it made a complete pass at 7200 rpm, decide to run again and 5500 brick wall persist.

Driving me crazy... any ideas?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It sounds like you're hitting boost cut. If you turn the boost down just a bit does it make a clean run? Maybe it's blowing out the spark. It's hard to tell from the short pull. Good luck.

synco357

Jan 30, 2008
Fort. Lauderdale
suprahero;1348867 said:
It sounds like you're hitting boost cut. If you turn the boost down just a bit does it make a clean run? Maybe it's blowing out the spark. It's hard to tell from the short pull. Good luck.

It would also do it intermitently at 10psi boost. I have a HKS Dli, plugs are gapped at .022

Do you think I need to gap them closer?

new88sup4me

Jan 25, 2009
Texas For now
hey, are you running a wideband O2 sensor?? whats it saying? what is your fuel pressure doing? Can you run it at 5500 Rpm (not climbing) and it run smooth?

synco357

Jan 30, 2008
Fort. Lauderdale
new88sup4me;1348899 said:
hey, are you running a wideband O2 sensor?? whats it saying? what is your fuel pressure doing? Can you run it at 5500 Rpm (not climbing) and it run smooth?

Dyno Jet wideband saying 11.2, My Innovative Wideband is saying 10.9-11.0, Fuel pressure is 60-65 psi. @ 20psi load

If I I dry rev the car in park, it rev`s to 8000 rpm with no problem.

The neutral safety switch and gear position locator is wired in on the auto shifter... Could that be the problem?

synco357

Jan 30, 2008
Fort. Lauderdale
Supra-Man18;1348996 said:
It sounds like a boost cut to me...Did you notice any spikes in boost at all during the pull ?

I did 2 passes at 20 psi and they were clean as ever... 437 HP.

So, I don`t think boost cut is the cause as it would have cut way before I reached 20 psi... does this make sense???

SC300fivespd

Soarer Guy
.022 gap? are you kidding me? why is it so frekkin small? never heard that what heat range are the plugs? id say a 7 or 8 heat range with a .8mm gap would be good and also make sure there are no air bubbles int he water system chech the temp probe. lets see what that does. it sounds like the spark is being blown out. mine id that..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SC300fivespd;1536723 said:
.022 gap? are you kidding me? why is it so frekkin small? never heard that what heat range are the plugs? id say a 7 or 8 heat range with a .8mm gap would be good and also make sure there are no air bubbles int he water system chech the temp probe. lets see what that does. it sounds like the spark is being blown out. mine id that..

You suspect spark blowout yet your advice is to go from 22 thou on the plugs to 31 thou?

contradictory

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
not trying to thread jack but i am having the same problem with my 7mgte, i changed coils, wires and plugs, what else could i try? i have this with 17 or 10 psi, always 5500rpm.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
a_sesshoumaru;1542104 said:
not trying to thread jack but i am having the same problem with my 7mgte, i changed coils, wires and plugs, what else could i try? i have this with 17 or 10 psi, always 5500rpm.

5200 is usually torque peak and where cylinder pressures are at their highest hence the spark blowout, IF you have enough Octane and some way to adjust the timing map around that point you can dial in some more advance and that might get you over the blowout and remove the stumble, failing that you can try smaller plug gaps or upgrade the ignition system for a bigger zap.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
IJ.;1542180 said:
5200 is usually torque peak and where cylinder pressures are at their highest hence the spark blowout, IF you have enough Octane and some way to adjust the timing map around that point you can dial in some more advance and that might get you over the blowout and remove the stumble, failing that you can try smaller plug gaps or upgrade the ignition system for a bigger zap.
Right now i am using new ngk grade 8 spark plugs gaped to 0.022" , why is this happening? i used to boost 23psi everyday with no issue at all. what should i gap my spark plugs at? is it the ecu failing?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Tired coils, different ambient temps, many variables can cause this if you're close to the ragged edge tune wise (so many here are it's not funny)

I always go for a conservative tune for this reason.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
I'm thinking the original posters problem was the neutral safety on the Aristo ECU. It has a built in rev limit that only occasionally will work sometimes. Just wanted to say for shits and giggles, I guess.