High-temp paint in relation to exhaust

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I have a question about high temp paint. I'll be buying an exhaust soon, and it needs some new high temp paint on the piping. I'm guessing the 1000* paint would work just fine, but how many coats would be good?

-Matt

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Depending how close you got to your turbo it'd need to be some pretty good paint and it also depends on what paint you use.

Most real high temp paints require that you bake them after painting at about 600+ degrees to get the finish right.

In general a thinner coat will resist chipping should it get hit, whereass the more coats you add the more brittle and less malleable the surface becomes due to the thickness of it all.

Just 2-3 light coats to get the color on should do. but it also depends on what it is your using to paint.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Matt are you talking about my nur-spec, or are you talking about a DP/elbow?

My exhaust is fine how it is...

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
I used this one, the brush on one and it works awesome. It won't last directly on the exhaust manifold but will hold on the heat shields. Won't last forever on the turbo outlet, but pretty much every other part of the exhaust will hold forever. The trick is to cure it. When you start the car you will smell paint cooking, turn the car off and let it cool. Once cooled, start it up and shut it off when you start to smell thepaint cooking. Repeat until the smell goes away and it will last forever pretty much.

p5175.jpg

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Rajunz said:
I used this one, the brush on one and it works awesome. It won't last directly on the exhaust manifold but will hold on the heat shields. Won't last forever on the turbo outlet, but pretty much every other part of the exhaust will hold forever. The trick is to cure it. When you start the car you will smell paint cooking, turn the car off and let it cool. Once cooled, start it up and shut it off when you start to smell thepaint cooking. Repeat until the smell goes away and it will last forever pretty much.

p5175.jpg
I'll be using it on a catback, so it should work the same? I was thinking the aerosol would be alot easier to use though.

I was thinking this: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=744&itemType=PRODUCT

-Matt

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
IJ. said:
Matt: Surface prep is KING for doing this, it needs to be clean enough to eat off as even the oil in your skin will make a difference.
I planned on using some scotch brite + degreaser to clean the surface, should this work?

-Matt

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Check out your yellow pages - there should be plenty of industrial places that will do that for you, and probably pretty cheap too

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
On mine and my buddys exhaust used the stuff from advanced.. their high temp spray paint, works fine on exhausts.. they dont get that hot prob less then 500*f more like 200-250 at most I'd say.. I just did 2 light coats, works fine..

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
600 deg BBQ black paint works fine on the cat back in my car. The eastwood exhaust manifold paint lasted about 200 miles before it started flaking off the (stock) turbine housing and manifold. I have Jet hot 2000 on all my new stuff now and it still looks like new a year and a half later.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Are you painting it to keep heat in, to make it look good, or to keep it from rusting, or all of the above?

If you want to keep heat in then wrap it, if you want to make it look good the eastwood stuff is nice, or you could send it to Jdub and make it really pretty and keep heat in.

Matt