High Temp Brake Fluid In Your Clutch System?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
As i sit here bored out of my mind thinking about the upcoming problem i may have and what i need to order, DOT 3 brake fluid is on my list as ill have to fill and bleed my clutch system. Which brings up my question to you Oh great fluid god!

Would high temp brake fluid have any advantages or disadvantages in the clutch system?

Ive been thinking for a couple of days about this since i read this page:
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

And saw how the heat effects the fluid im not sure if its completely true which is why i figured id ask.

Thanks in advance.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The amount of heat clutch fluid is exposed to is the key. In the article he was talking about a GM application where the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing, exposed to relatively high heat. And, he was also talking about running the motor hard at the track. Both of these are going to shorten the life of the fluid...in the brakes too (even more so actually).

Heat is the killer of any fluid/oil used in the motor or accessories. In the case of brake fluid, it's hygroscopic...it absorbs water from the atmosphere. This contributes to it's break down as well (perhaps more than heat under normal driving conditions).

For the Supra, you can use either Dot 3 or 4 in the clutch...Dot 4 has the higher temp rating. If the cost is pretty much the same, get Dot 4...I would use a synthetic, if available.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm the opposite. I keep several types in my garage so that when I'm bleeding I can switch types. Then it's super easy to tell when I've flushed the entire system - the fluid coming out turns a different color.

I also have to regularly flush a bunch of different types, though - automobiles, mountain bikes, and some assorted misc. bits here and there.

PS: Keep in mind that many of the synthetics don't have anti-foaming agents in them. Not a big deal for your car, but it sure plays havoc with the hydraulic systems on mountain bikes.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
GrimJack;1272956 said:
PS: Keep in mind that many of the synthetics don't have anti-foaming agents in them. Not a big deal for your car, but it sure plays havoc with the hydraulic systems on mountain bikes.

i can understand that as an r/c car guru some of the nitro fuels that dont have anti foaming agents in them raise hell with the motors over ruff surfaces or jumping.