High quality 160* thermostat?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
That's very interesting. Today i'll switch to a 80 degree high flow and just leave that in there, if i ever have any dramas with higher than normal temps in the heat of our summer i'll increase the oil cooler size instead.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
wiseco7mgt;1477190 said:
That's very interesting. Today i'll switch to a 80 degree high flow and just leave that in there, if i ever have any dramas with higher than normal temps in the heat of our summer i'll increase the oil cooler size instead.

IJ.;1475245 said:
Have ran lower temp T Stats in the past and from my experience about all they do is increase warmup time, if you do long hard pulls the cooling system will reach it's natural equilibrium (my car with the 500rwhp 7M was around the 91c mark on a 77c T-stat) dependant on the ambient temp as it can only reject xxx BTU's based on many variables.

At a steady state cruise your operating temp will be lower as the engine is producing less heat so will sit on the t-stat's opening point and this may give you xx seconds extra before you get to the vehicle's running temp but once the t-stat is open it can't open further and if you don't have enough cooling system overhead it WILL overheat.

;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
We're limited by frontal area and engine location in the Mk3 Pete there's only so much rad you can squeeze in there, ANYTHING you can do to shift some thermal load will help but unless you can find a magic place for coolers adding more to the front of the car does little as they end up mounted in series.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Just started adding my large speco oil cooler this morning in front of the intercooler though, just behind the A duct. I see what you mean about mounting in series.
Would prefer not to block the intercooler at all but the size of the oil cooler stops me from doing that. Played around with the idea of making a alloy plate box for the cooler and a thermo fan instead and tucking it up under the front on its flat but at the moment don't have the time to spare.
Future project lol.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Welp, I drilled a couple too many holes in the Stant and rendered it incapable of restricting flow enough for the current, very low, ambient. Time to get another, LOL. D'oh!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yes, I knew that... did it anyway, looking back it was probably not worth it. I was not going for "high flow", only matching it's valve surface area to OEM.

I can say that the fresh out of the box Stant seemed to react by opening farther, faster to water temp ~10* above its rating, while the new OEM was noticeably slower reacting and shorter throw in similar conditions. So you're right, it may just be part of it's design and they might actually be similar in actual operation. I will probably add a small hole to the Stant to supplement the lack of a jiggle valve, but nothing more

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, it has no jiggle valve AT ALL out of the box... don't want to accidentally create an air lock in there when installing

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
All in good fun Ian!!

Still going to just to make myself feel better... even if its only a 1/16th hole.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Got the #2 stat yesterday, checked it again for some kind of bypass/air passage and this one had nothing at all, so perhaps the notch in the last one was a tiny manufacturing defect of some sort... it was so small I could easily believe thats the case.

So, drilled the 1/16in hole and it has worked perfectly like that!