High possiblilty of BHG

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
So heres a little history of what happened. I replaced my w/pump back in Sept. with an aftermarket because it started to leak fromt the weeping hole. I drove the car for about a month and a half then parked it for the winter. I took it back out in late March, and drove it. Everythng was fine untill early July the aftermarket w/pump bearing let go and started to leak. So I replaced it with another after market pump that lasted not even 2 days. I got home and the pump was flowing coolant out of the car like Niagara Falls. It turns out this pump had its whole entire center section (Impeller, shaft, and pully) slip and grind 5/32nds into the rear timing cover housing. When i got around to replacing the pump again I bleed the car for about 1 1/2 hrs but I did notice a very bad sign. As I reved up the engine, I had a gyser of coolant come out of the rad. But after bleeding I drove the car no problems with overheating accoriding to the stock gauge it doesnt even attemept to pass middle or fluctuate. Plently of heat in the car no lose of power. I dont have to top up the bottle, and it doesnt overflow.

So im not going to denie the possiblity of a BHG, infact I think it is the case. I just want to clarify what you guys mean when the coolant in the resivior bottle "boils". Is it that you hear a girgleing sound at the front with the hood open or is actually boiling.

Because I checked the bottle before I leave when its cold and is a bout a 1/2 an inch about the low level. And after its hot its about 1 inch over the full level but im hearing this girgling sound formt the bottle and when I pull out the hose it goes away.

And yes i know that for shure way to tell if it is a BHG is a Exhaust Gas Tester for the rad. That will check for EG in the coolant system and a Compression test will test between cylinders

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It doesn't sound like a head gasket issue to me, sounds like you just have some air left in your system. When you bled the system did you get the front end of the car up in the air? EIther park on a really steep incline or put the front on jackstands when bleeding because on level ground the radiator fill is lower than other components of the system so it is difficult to get all the air out.

If you have a bhg you likely will have steam pouring out of your exhaust, have a creamy frothy bit of bullshit on the underside of your oil filler cap and you'd be using a lot of coolant.

When my head gasket went it pumped out so much steam it stopped traffic at intersections because people couldnt see anything behind me for 2 blocks.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Unfortanatly I couldnt tilt it but I was going do that work this weekend. But I should also mention that when the 2nd pump leaked it drew out ALL the coolant out of the car. So I figured now was a good idea at the time to change the coolant hoses. (I bought that eBay coolant hose kit... its actually pretty decent)

Other thing really worth noting is that I replace my Rad at the same time cause of all the metal shavings from the timing cover and w/pump and the plastic tanks were getting dry and brittle. Anyway the aftermarket Rad cap neck was about an 1/8 of inch too wide at the tabs so I had to shave it down with a razor blade. When I got the cap on I could only turn it half way as it was still too tight, so took a pair of channel locks and finnished closing it.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Maple191;1863734 said:
Unfortanatly I couldnt tilt it but I was going do that work this weekend. But I should also mention that when the 2nd pump leaked it drew out ALL the coolant out of the car. So I figured now was a good idea at the time to change the coolant hoses. (I bought that eBay coolant hose kit... its actually pretty decent)

Other thing really worth noting is that I replace my Rad at the same time cause of all the metal shavings from the timing cover and w/pump and the plastic tanks were getting dry and brittle. Anyway the aftermarket Rad cap neck was about an 1/8 of inch too wide at the tabs so I had to shave it down with a razor blade. When I got the cap on I could only turn it half way as it was still too tight, so took a pair of channel locks and finnished closing it.

EBay coolant kit better than OEM? I'm looking at getting new hoses soon

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Agreed, the Radiator cap is designed to be a failure point to some extent; The pressure rating in pounds (or KG or what have you) is designed to only hold that much pressure... and when so much pressure is made, it vents to the over flow. I may be babbling here, but.. mayhap that could keep coolant getting to the reservoir?
I'm starting to think your cooling issues might be system wide at this point.
Might want to look for a used factory radiator and use standard hoses and maybe replace thermostat... Doesn't sound like BHG, but... does sound like lots of air and a few failing parts. an OEM Water pump and maybe another front timing cover might make life better as well.
Hope I'm not completely off base with this. Not trying to spout B.S., just hoping I remember this stuff right

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
jetjock;1864343 said:
So you're asking someone who puts their radiator cap on with channel locks whether hoses made in China are better than OEM?

LMAO I was about to say the same thing and then I got to this post. You beat me to it jetjock......

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Ok 1) The hoses are fine as they're other members here currently using them with no problems. 2a) The only reason I put the cap on with the channle locks is because I know I still need to trim a bit of the rads neck thats not an issue. 2b) A used OEM rad is now at least a minimum of 10yrs old and I say that because manufactures must produce parts for vehicles for a minimum of 10yrs after the vehicle has stopped production. 1992 + 10yrs is 2002 and now is 2012. I am not gonna put a 10yr old part that most likely has more milage and wear then the car im putting it into. As in the coolant will start to eat away at the core. 3) The water pump is a new OEM and the rear cover is holding just fine.