High performance starter?

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
ok so it looks like im having starter problems again. I allready removed it and im going to get it tested tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a such thing as a high performance starter if so i would want to know who makes a good one. :1zhelp: any ideas?

thanx..

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the issue won't be the starter but the tooth count. GM and Ford have lots of aftermarket high torque starters, but I don't think the tooth count or spacing will be compatible with ours.....

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
Sawbladz;1450275 said:
What is done to your motor to require a "high performance" starter. Sounds like you just need one that works.

iv just had it with starters iv took it off to many times. I was thinking that maybe ill be a good idea to get something better. I keep geting the autozone once that they rebult and sale them back to you and im not geting good results. So i was thinking of geting something that will last
:icon_bigg
what do you guys think?

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Are you 100% sure its the starter....?

When I bought my first NA supra I had alot of problems with it starting, so I took it back to the guy who was a mechanic not once but 3 times and he put three new starters on it each time, and still did not fix the problem. I then took matters into my own hands and found that if the car wouldn't start I could take a wire from the batt directly to the starter and get her going every time. I wired up a push button to get around it. You can look up a thread that explains the problem in detail or maybe somone can chime in here if they know what I'm talking about. Mine happened frequently when the car had been run for awhile (like go home for lunch break, etc. it really pissed me off) hope you figure it out.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
should be pretty quick by now at getting it out of there? lol have you doen any diagnostics on it to verify its the starter itself? check amp draw? check relays make sure you have good connection at starter good cables?

There is not much to the starting system on this car

A high performance starter (high torque or gear reduction) from what i know are mainly used on higher compression engines and i mean higher than 8 or 9. One of my old projects was running 11.5:1. they will work but not necessary.

So what is the car not doing?

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1450352 said:
Are you 100% sure its the starter....?

You can look up a thread that explains the problem in detail or maybe somone can chime in here if they know what I'm talking about. Mine happened frequently when the car had been run for awhile (like go home for lunch break, etc. it really pissed me off) hope you figure it out.

haha, i was just reading "that" thread the other day...it got bumped. just picked up a relay and a socket for the "plug and play" extra awesomeness of it discussed in the thread. here you are, sir. please try this first. if you want me to post a pic of the parts i got (like the socket that people can't find), lemme know.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76403

oh.....and did the search button break?...mods? lol

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
If your going through starts frequently, ensure your wiring is good to your starter motor. Too much resistance, equals less voltage for the motor, equals more amps it pulls. Equals more heat, shorter life.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
pull the starter and hook a battery charger to it at 12 volts grond the case and power the solenoid (have to jump the positive post and little pin) see if it engages. chances are your wiring is the cause not the starter

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
autozone starters are known to be pretty crappy on the rebuilds. get a new starter and i bet you wont have any more threads on hi performance starters..... so far my brother and i are on our second starters on our cars (mines a 91 with 100k mile, his is an 88 with 115k+ miles) do it once, do it right