High hp guys - how are you installing your flywheel bolts?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
So I was installing my flywheel this weekend. Using the TSRM recommended torque (54 lb-ft) and lubrication (engine oil on threads and under bolt flange), I managed to stretch both ARP and stock bolts. I'm having the calibration on my wrench checked today (I'm fairly certain it isn't going to be any more than 10% out of spec), but I was wondering what other guys are doing.

Adam

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Installed as per TSRM as there was no torque sheet included with the arp bolts (guess I should have checked arp's website). Checked the ARP site, says 70 lb-ft with loctite 242 and arp lube under the flange. I'm fairly certain my 54 lb-ft with motor oil (if my torque wrench wasn't way out of line) didn't stress the bolts any more than the ARP spec. Guess I'll get the answer later today though when the torque wrench gets a once-over.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
My craftsman torque wrench went out of whack, and would torque past 100ft-lbs when set to 30.
Found out that getting it calibrated would cost as much as a new digital wrench, so guess what i did...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
If mine is off, I hope the relationship isn't linear. That'll mean (among the many other fasteners I use my wrench on) my head studs are WAY overtorqued.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If theyre anything like head studs, then with motor oil you should actually torque them more than with their arp lube.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Don't know that I qualify as high-HP, but I will be, damnit!

ARP bolts, torqued to 54 ft-lbs, as per TSRM. My torque wrench isn't exactly high end, but it feels about right.

I have one of the old deflection indicator torque wrenches. They're cheap, and hard to get super accurate, but are generally good. I put it (loosley) in a vice and calibrated my Princess Auto click wrench against it at 50, 80 and 100 ft-lbs. They seemed to pretty much agree. The deflection indicator torque wrench is $15, so cheap enough to use as a double-check on your click wrench. (I have a 1/2" square socket, which is useful for this test.)