high fuel pressure hot start?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
In th process of freshening up my motor, while its out for a auto, to 5 sp swap. (which is a HUGE undertaking on a twenty year old motor, as most of you already know)

I found that one of the wires for the fuel pressure regulator vsv, was broken. (there were a few others broken wires but this was the only one i had no idea what the actual purpose was, on top of that, I have always had a heat soak problem since i bought the car).

After researching what the vsv was for, and finding that the fuel pressure was to be raised for a short while during hot start. i could not figure out what the purpose of this system was.

Why does it help hot start, to raise fuel pressure?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
im not sure why it helps, but i know when it doesnt work on some hot starts itll idle like complete dog shit. mine does it every so often.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I thought it vented the regulator to atmospere so there was no vacum acting on it to keep fuel pressure at its highest for hot starts? I didn't think it had anything to do with idleing?

I don't even have one on my car, AFPR vacum line just hook right to the intake manifold. But cold starts sometimes i gotta crank for 10seconds before she fires...I think the CSI isn't working..

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
dumbo;1271877 said:
I thought it vented the regulator to atmospere so there was no vacum acting on it to keep fuel pressure at its highest for hot starts? I didn't think it had anything to do with idleing?

I don't even have one on my car, AFPR vacum line just hook right to the intake manifold. But cold starts sometimes i gotta crank for 10seconds before she fires...I think the CSI isn't working..

IIRC i asked jetjock about it and he said it sounded like the FPU VSV. i havnt looked into it as other things have been going wrong on the car and it happens randomly.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
SupaMan;1271880 said:
IIRC i asked jetjock about it and he said it sounded like the FPU VSV. i havnt looked into it as other things have been going wrong on the car and it happens randomly.

Gotcha, whats IIRC mean?