HIDs not working on my 87

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
I just hooked up my hids on my 87 and they don't work. Does anybody have any idea why they don't work? They do work though because I hooked them up on my friends car and they turned on. Is there anything I need to do?

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
when u say not enough gauge what do u mean? i dont think the ballast is fried because i tried them on my friends ride after i installed them on mine.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
He means that if you're using the stock wiring in the hopes of carrying the power to the ballast you're not going to be able to deliver enough.

Run the ballast off the battery using some good 10 gauge wire and a relay that's triggered by the stock headlight wiring.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If you're referring to the ballast not powering up off of the stock wiring, then, YES. Every person I've seen who installed them had to power them with a relay. Have you even tried powering it from the battery?

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
no i have not tried powering them from the battery. i am not sure of how to do that and i dont want to do it wrong. what exactly do i have to do to run them from the battery?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Good god man.. I posted a link... look at it.

EDIT: You know there has been a lot of info posted about this on here... There's another thread in General Discussion that's active right now. If you need more information or your kit still doesn't power when run straight from the battery try searching... I'd start with "ballast wiring". "HID" is too short for the search engine... it'll just ignore it, so search ballast instead.

Last edited:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
mjmendoza;1144925 said:
does anybody else have this problem when putting HID's on there mkIII?

hey i just had the problem with my HIDS all it was the wires were crossed the ground and positive, your balast should have 2 ways of the 9006 connector, i just flipped it, and i was all good.