hi everyone, noobie here

Z

ztosupra

Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is bryant, 17 year old in high school. I've just been a reader of the forum for about the last month now and finally just decided to join. I'm not in a supra yet, but it won't be long. I'm in an older Z car now, trying to get rid of the piece so i can get into a MkIII. :biglaugh: anyways, thats it. hi everyone.

p.s. a few of you guys are already my heros

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Welcome aboard! Take your time and learn as much as you can about the car. Most folks here have probably asked many of the questions that you will have once you get your own MKIII, so be sure to search for posts that answer your questions.
If I may, one piece of advice: Please do all of the preventive maintanance on the car before you start doing mods! This will allow you to enjoy the Supra in its natural state, and will give you a more solid base to build upon. Good luck with your future Supra, you will love it! We certainly do ;)

Z

ztosupra

thanks guys. i learned a lot of things with my first car i have now, my 280zx. it has so many problems i didn't know to look for that i just can't wait to see it go now so i can move on. just today the rear tire went flat and i realized there is no lug wrench in the hatch to change it! oh well, it won't be long, just a little more saving and hopefully i'll be able to upgrade to a turbo 5 spd with a nice color interior. none of that weird 80s colored crap! :biglaugh:

M

MisterTurbineTwister

Beware of the blown head gasket that most of these engines experience around 100,000 miles or more. You can retorque the stock head gasket in sequence down to 70ft lbs to help the situation, but try to find a car that has already had it's head gasket replaced and RUNS GOOD.

Other than that, try to get a turbo car to start out with from the beginning. Otherwise you'll have to wire in a Turbo ECU and buy all of the turbo junk to make your Naturally Aspirated car turbocharged and because of the N/A (Naturally Aspirated) pistons higher compression ratio, you won't be able to run as much boost unless you go with a metal head gasket ($$$)... So, just save yourself the trouble and go with a turbo car to begin with. Better yet, go with a turbo 5 speed. It may end up costing you a little more, but it will go a long way.

What year is your Z?

M

MisterTurbineTwister

I hope you had intentions on using the lug wrench to change the tire away from home.

If you don't have a sufficient amount of (at least) metric tools to do extensive work on the car, you'd better invest in a box and go to Sears with about $1000 or more or have a good mechanic. If you want to get into cars, you have to be equipped enough to do the work you're willing to take on yourself. Otherwise it will make you go insane not having something as simple as a deep socket or a breaker bar.

Good tools are your working hands and essentially are the limits to your working capabilities.

Don't waste your money on Snap-On, Mac or Matco unless they make something that you will get multiple use of that nobody else makes. Just stick with Craftsman for your hand tools. All you need is a lifetime warranty (which craftsman has) in case you bust something and money spent beyond that is a potential turbo, exhaust, body kit... you get the idea. Even if you break five 14mm craftsman sockets to one snap on, you can go and get a sixth. It doesn't matter if the tool is a piece of junk compared to something else. What matters is that it works. It's basic perpose is function. Not style.

Shiney tools look good in a tool box, but it does you no good to show off your blingy tools when your car is down or needs work.

My theory is that when you are using your tools, your car is less than appealing in one manor or another because it is being worked on (hence the tools), so who gives a shit what the tool looks like as long as it gets your car put back together, which is what you should REALY be showing off.

I just go with Craftsman for my hand tools because they are thousands cheaper than high end brand names and you only have to buy them once as long as you don't lose them (hence the tool box).

When you go to buy a set of tools, like a starter set, don't spend $$$ on multiples of the same tool that have different variations. If you can go without it because it's not needed or you can do the same thing with another tool, go without it. You don't need it. A lot of the tool sets you see for sale have multiples of relatively the same tool, even though they have a lot of pieces, they may be pieces that you will see little to no use out of.

In short: Save your first $1,500 or more for a good set of tools that you KNOW you will need and make use of. Stick with basic socket and wrench sets and move along buying other tools when you know what you need and try to buy them in sets to save $ and to build your capacity.

P.S. You have your choices of interior colors:

-Dark Maroon/Burgundy... whatever you want to call it
-Medium Gray
-Dark gray (almost black and almost non existant. Good luck finding one)
-Dark blue

That's a Toyota Supra for you. This is where creativity and upholstery and dismantling your car come in to play. Just plan on living with it or gutting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

ztosupra

haha, thanks everyone. I already know a little bit about the cars. i've been lookin at 'em hard for about the last month or so. i'll have a gray or tan interior. i'm not messing it up this time. i got so anxious to get a car the first time i bought a 83 280zx and there are so many problems with it i sometimes just want to take a hammer to the whole thing (sometimes i actually have to). but yeah, i don't know the color combinations they came in, but if i could find a black on tan turbo, 5 spd, targa top with everything in good order my dream will come true. think $5k will be enough to get that for me?

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
5K will be a good start! I origionally got my 91 turbo targa for $4,800,which was a good deal considering the head was re-done w/ a metal head gasket. The car is a blast to drive,you just have to NOT make the newbie mistake of buying one just because you want it bad. Supra's a have a bad rep for having blown head gaskets.(a fault from the factory)
I would suggest finding a rust free turbo targa 5 speed.Finding a mechanically sound car is much better than one with the blingiddy bling body kit,huge stupid ass wing,and booming stereo.All that is crap,and I would guess is something that will only cause problems as soon as you start taking it apart to see how it works.All the accessories are something that you should put in so you you know what you installed versus what some other idiot did.(hack wiring,crappy body kit installs,the like)
This forum is a wealth of information,and don't be afraid to ask questions.There ARE no stupid questions,just stupid answers.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Welcome! Hope you find the car you are looking for. My car is the black and tan combo you are looking for. I like it a lot. If you can find one, more power to you.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
ztosupra said:
haha, thanks everyone. I already know a little bit about the cars. i've been lookin at 'em hard for about the last month or so. i'll have a gray or tan interior. i'm not messing it up this time. i got so anxious to get a car the first time i bought a 83 280zx and there are so many problems with it i sometimes just want to take a hammer to the whole thing (sometimes i actually have to). but yeah, i don't know the color combinations they came in, but if i could find a black on tan turbo, 5 spd, targa top with everything in good order my dream will come true. think $5k will be enough to get that for me?

good luck finding a tan interior... anyways... 5k is a great start... try and buy the CLEANEST and most well kept mk3 you can buy... it will be worth it in the long run... your gonna spend more money making a bad one "good" then you would by just buying a good car to start... yea.. i'm not making any sense..... :hs: Im tired.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ckanderson said:
good luck finding a tan interior

heh, there's an N/A a few miles away from me, sitting in a field. its got a damn clean cloth tan interior. they want way too much for it, so there it sits, and there it rots. :(

-shaeff