HG Retorquing Questions / Switching OEM Bolts for ARP Studs

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
So in January I'll have been in posession of my supra for a whole year, putting aproximately 5 thousand miles on it since I've owned it and since its had a new OEM HG put in with OEM bolts torqued to something over spec but I have no idea what because a mechanic did it.

I love the stupid guy and I'm the kinda guy that worries over little things. I only have a couple of mods thus far (in the sig) but I feel like before I start tryin to make anymore substantial power I wanna make sure the HG will hold up.

That being said, I'm wondering if I can rip off the valve covers and take out the OEM bolts one by one and replace them with ARP headstuds.

I looked into a couple of other threads and saw mixed opinions and while I'm aware I might see those same mixed opinions reworded from this thread I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is if its worth it spending the money on ARP studs or whether I should jus torque the OEM bolts to a higher torqueage.

Thanks in advance

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wouldn't, but as you've read, it's been done. I would re-torque the stock bolts to 70-75 ft/lbs...in two passes per the TSRM pattern.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
Is it your opinion then that re torquing the stock bolts will hold up to <300 hp? Or whatever amount of power I'll have runnin BPU

I understand there are variables to be taken under consideration but for the most part my motor is healthy otherwise.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Stock bolts will easily handle that HP...the stock HG torqued to 70-75 flt/lbs with stock bolts can go to 14 psi of boost all day (some guys have gone higher). If you keep the stock ECU and don't go nuts with boost, you'll be fine. You want to avoid detonation (#1 killer of HG's IMO)...if you start using a piggyback fuel control or MAFT Pro, it will all be in the tune.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
I used to torque 65 flt/lbs on new toyota headgasket and new toyota head bolts ran 14 psi of boost on stock ct26 for over a year on stock fuel system , blew 17 years old turbo . About 3 months ago I retorque it to 72 flt/lbs and run 17 psi of boost on 57trim ct26 with new suport fuel system on new set up , i never have any problem . Detonnation is the only thing that you worry about , make sure you're not running lean and try to keep your engine running cool as mutch as you can . you can check my profile picgallery to see my set up .

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
can't put the studs in because the bolts only go halfway down the holes in the block while the studs go all the way in... meaning you have close to 20 years of buildup of junk in the lower half of the holes to stop the stud from going all the way in...

retorque and/or keep money saved up for when/if the HG blows to get it down with ARP studs and a MHG...