hey i need a torque wrench wil this do?

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
evildoer said:

Hi Evildoer

I would reccomend going with your second option.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944560000

It is very easy to use and set. You just set the desired torque, then turn untill you hear the "Click". Easy as that. That is what I have for my torque wrenches.

Mike Nikolai

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
neither one of the links are working for me.......but if you're asking whether to use a needle/deflection type torque wrench or an adjustable, 'clicking' torque wrench, go with the adjustable one. Much easier to use and more accurate.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
no.....spend the money and get a craftsman or other name brand company FROM THE STORE/WEBSITE. At least with craftsman, they'll replace it for free if you break it.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
evildoer said:
i saw some of the adjustable torque wrenches on ebay 4 cheap 30 wit shipping it says that it has life time waranty thru manufacture should i trust it?

Craftsman all the way. Sears is really good about backing their products!

The timing light looks good. I do not recall what make mine is, but it is a digital one. It works really well but it was expensive. It was $159.00 CDN.

Mike Nikolai

evildoer

Apr 4, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
GOT BOOST said:
Craftsman all the way. Sears is really good about backing their products!

The timing light looks good. I do not recall what make mine is, but it is a digital one. It works really well but it was expensive. It was $159.00 CDN.

Mike Nikolai

ouch dam that thing should time your car by its self or include a mechanic with it haha sounds nice tho im gonna spend the money on the torque wrench and see if i can just borrow a light 4 now because i b a poor man right now maft, new garret 60 trim, 321 ss manifold, head rebuilt, cometic hg greddy timing belt braided oil lines and still have to find a wastegate plus vac lines and still have to fab some temp hard ic pipes and what not im going to have to rob a bank to pay my credit card bill

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Squid699 said:
no.....spend the money and get a craftsman or other name brand company FROM THE STORE/WEBSITE. At least with craftsman, they'll replace it for free if you break it.

werd. craftsman makes a good tool. but unfortunately you're incorrect about the replacement thing- there's only a 1 yr warranty on the tq wrenches. :( stay away from the digitork models, they break easily.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
definately get the adjustable 'click' model. they're much better, and you dont have to strain your neck to watch the stupid little inaccurate gauge when you should be concentrating on making a smooth torquing sequence.

get one of a reputable brand name. all my tools are craftsman.

-shaeff

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
I'm going against the grain here; buy the beam type torque wrench instead of the more expensive adjustable torque wrench. A beam wrench holds its calibration better and its accuracy is fine for our application. The click type needs to be recalibrated regularly for it to remain a precision instrument. If you regularly deal with the snap-on truck guy the click type is a fine tool. He has the device to check the calibration in the truck, so you don't have to send it off. If you keep it calibrated a click type is an easy to use, incredibly accurate instrument. IMO it's just expensive overkill for a weekend mechanic.

A 3/8" drive craftsman beam type isn't fancy but it'll get the job done for $20 and last a long time as long as you store it properly. Don't buy a used wrench; you don't know how many times it was dropped.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i totally agree on the used wrench thing. some jackhole could have owned it and kicked it acrosse the floor and never calibrated it. I'm all for craftsman, i wont buy anything else, except when it comes to torque wrenches. they have alittle too much plastic on them for me. i have a K-D 25-250ft/lbs for teh big stiff and a beam type 0-90ft/lbs for everything else. my opinion: shell out alittle extra $$ and get a good clicker with a ratcheting head and high range, and get a cheaper beam type for the small stuff because you dont have to be that accurate on small stuff.

evildoer

Apr 4, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
ya i wouldnt buy used they had some new ones on ebay but never heard the companys name b4 but i never new you had to calibrate the clicker types and now i wonder if the beam type will be ok for torqing this head down?

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I have both. I love the click-type, ratcheting craftsman I have, but the beam-type is easier to use on small stuff because it isn't as bulky.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
evildoer said:
ya i wouldnt buy used they had some new ones on ebay but never heard the companys name b4 but i never new you had to calibrate the clicker types and now i wonder if the beam type will be ok for torqing this head down?

The beam type is fine for torquing down a cylinder head as long as you stay within the limits of the wrench (don't approximate measurements past the marked values).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Buying quality tools is always a good thing!

I started years back just buying small handtools when I could afford to and now have a great fully equipped workshop here at home!

I still have my Tq wrench I bought when I was 14! (damn it's 29 years old!) ;)

evildoer

Apr 4, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
IJ. said:
Buying quality tools is always a good thing!

I started years back just buying small handtools when I could afford to and now have a great fully equipped workshop here at home!

I still have my Tq wrench I bought when I was 14! (damn it's 29 years old!) ;)
dam its a frakn antique

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
You can have a torque wrench precise enough to 0.00001 micro inches, but it doesn't matter that much. It's the fit between the threads of the fastener that matters most, since the whole premise of torquing things down is based on it.

Buy a half decent torque wrench, and buy a set of quality taps and dies, so you can chase your fasteners and threaded holes for accurate readings. Torque wrench is only a small part of the equation, don't neglect the one that matters the most.